The Student Room Group

Theresa May wants to lead the Conservatives into the next general electiion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41093516

[video="youtube;YIlL0T2yTss"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIlL0T2yTss[/video]

Scroll to see replies

2ez4JC
Reply 2
Surely this is just party unity PR/fighting talk. She's hardly going to say, 'nah, I'll probably have been back-stabbed by Johnson, Davis and co. before then'.

I will do a Paddy Ashdown and eat my hat if the Tories give her a second go at Corbyn after that campaign.
Reply 3
I wouldn't be surprised if she did - nobody is going to want to take over from her before we've left the EU, because otherwise they'll have to deal with the fallout. Likewise, the outcome of Brexit will directly impact the Tories' performance in the next election, which I'm sure the party will also be quite happy to see May take the blame for.

Honestly, the only upside of Brexit seems to be how badly the Tories are likely to come out of it.
Reply 4
Good, she's the only real leader we have. We need to unite behind her; any leadership challenges will ultimately fail. I would like to see some certainty during this turbulent time and a bunch of leadership contests and snap elections isn't going to achieve that sense of stability as we leave the EU
Any predictions when the next election will be? Will we have to wait until 2022 or do you think there will be another snap election.
Reply 6
Original post by Trapz99
Good, she's the only real leader we have. We need to unite behind her; any leadership challenges will ultimately fail. I would like to see some certainty during this turbulent time and a bunch of leadership contests and snap elections isn't going to achieve that sense of stability as we leave the EU

I partly agree. But also the Tories are masters of self-preservation. If they think there is a real chance that Corbyn will beat May at the next General Election they will amputate, no questions asked. I have no doubt that knives are being sharpened already by certain factions of the party. Ultimately, she will never be able to shake the fact that she compromised the party's credibility with the public by mismanaging the snap election campaign.

If they opt to keep her I don't think it will so much be adherence to the 'strong and stable leadership' mantra, but instead because no one else wants to sacrifice their career over Brexit. Just my two cents.
Based on her past record of promising one thing and doing the opposite, I am awaiting her resignation.
"Not a quitter" is one of those phrases used by people just before they get fired.

I can see the Tories doing a Thatcher on her.
We'll have to change the words of the National Anthem... (still sung to "God Save the Queen")

God save Theresa May,
She never gets her way.
God save Theresa May.
We're "strong and stable",
Yet she's unable,
In ev'ry single bloody way,
God save Theresa May.

Her election was in vain,
"Strong and stable is my name".
God save Theresa May.
She runs through fields of wheat,
But lost a bunch of seats,
Now she can't even admit defeat,
God save Theresa May!
Original post by Oh Hi
Surely this is just party unity PR/fighting talk. She's hardly going to say, 'nah, I'll probably have been back-stabbed by Johnson, Davis and co. before then'.

I will do a Paddy Ashdown and eat my hat if the Tories give her a second go at Corbyn after that campaign.

I can't imagine it happening either. Perhaps if it looks a dead certainty that labour are going to win a landslide no one may want to stand. But I just can't see the Tories just rolling over for a Labour party that is ran by leftists of the party. That terrifies them beyond standard partisan politics. Enough of them would see it as a moral duty to do their damn best to stop Corbyn from winning, for then good of the country.

The other point is no one trusts polling anymore. If the polling heavily favours Labour the Tories will be itching for their own Corbyn to defy the odds and opt for their own maverick like Rees Mog.
I'll say what the Tories said about Corbyn when he didn't resign last year - I hope she stays the leader, that means we will win the next general election. :smile:
Considering she wasn't going to have an election, and then called one; I see this news only as positive. She'll be gone within the year!:biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I can't imagine it happening either. Perhaps if it looks a dead certainty that labour are going to win a landslide no one may want to stand. But I just can't see the Tories just rolling over for a Labour party that is ran by leftists of the party. That terrifies them beyond standard partisan politics. Enough of them would see it as a moral duty to do their damn best to stop Corbyn from winning, for then good of the country.

The other point is no one trusts polling anymore. If the polling heavily favours Labour the Tories will be itching for their own Corbyn to defy the odds and opt for their own maverick like Rees Mog.

I agree insofar that as I think the Tories are terrified of what Corbyn represents and would sacrifice May if they don't think she's up to the job of beating him. I still wouldn't put it passed Corbyn to make decisions which will significantly damage his popularity with large swathes of the electorate in the run up to the next GE e.g. u-turn on student finance and even more recently the party's repositioning on Brexit which pretty much contradicts every public statement that he has made on it since the referencum.

Polling has certainly been taking a bashing ever since the 2015 GE. I think the fact that in both the US and UK populism and the percieved rejection of globalisation has lead to loads of people coming out to vote who usually wouldn't have has made things difficult for the likes of Ipsos and YouGov. The main pollster for Stronger In, Andrew Cooper, put Remain like 10 points ahead on the eve of the election. Electorates are no longer following the old adage of voting for the status quo which is interesting.

Over the last few days I have really seen this JRM stuff gaining traction. I genuinely thought it was a bit of a joke at first. But the cultishness of his support kind of reminds me of Boris prior to and during his mayoral campaign.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hope she loses, she ****ed up everything: From GCSEs to the NHS
In fairness to May, she got the highest share of the vote since 83 and months on there is still no unison in supporting an alternative leader so one can see why she's attempting to fill the void she created at the election. In addition, i don't buy the fact that the result came down to Corbyn vs May but rather i think it was Corbyn vs the Tory manifesto.

In the days after the election i felt a degree of rage which is unusual since i am not an emotive guy but now that we have had months to calm down i'm more inclined to say that if we can make a broader and more economy focused policy offer then we should not fear the fight.
What? I thought she was going to resign, what's going on?
Reply 17
The next general election is a long way away. Until that time, May's government, barely functional with a supply and demand arrangement, will inevitably lose more seats with by-elections. Coming into the election she will appear even weaker than she does now. But that's not going to happen anyway. The only reason she remains PM is because the Tory big beasts are waiting for the opportunity to pounce. Brexit negotiations will continue until mid-2019 and not long after, I think she will be pushed out. The Conservative party have little sense of loyalty; look at how quickly they ousted Margaret Thatcher despite winning three consecutive elections for them!
Original post by matthew769
2ez4JC

Precisely how is "Jez" going to win the next election? Even getting 40% of the vote, Labour is still 60 seats behind the Tories and there's very little fat left to carve off the Tory bone. Labour can't win the next election without convincing Tory voters to defect, and if anything it will lose voters the next election as Labour's Brexit ambiguity (pretending to be pro-Remain to remainers, and pro-Brexit to brexiteers) falls apart.
Original post by Otaku98
The next general election is a long way away. Until that time, May's government, barely functional with a supply and demand arrangement, will inevitably lose more seats with by-elections. Coming into the election she will appear even weaker than she does now. But that's not going to happen anyway. The only reason she remains PM is because the Tory big beasts are waiting for the opportunity to pounce. Brexit negotiations will continue until mid-2019 and not long after, I think she will be pushed out. The Conservative party have little sense of loyalty; look at how quickly they ousted Margaret Thatcher despite winning three consecutive elections for them!

An absolute monarchy tempered by regicide XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending