The Student Room Group

Level 3 or 4 (HNC) Course advice

I'm looking for a career change and want to work in the wildlife/animal industry, ideally in some form of conservation work. I attended studying Biology at uni over 10 years ago now, but didn't finish my course back then. I don't feel that course was too relevant to what I want to do now as it was largely human biology (genetics, physiology etc) and I've forgotten loads of it by now anyway. I've done a few short courses in the years since in unrelated areas, but nothing with deadlines and many assignments etc, so I'm a bit apprehensive of studying again but it I'm pretty sure this course I've found is one I want.

I've seen these Animal Management courses which look really interesting to me, some are in Sheffield where I live. Now there's 2 options, either a level 3 or level 4 (HNC) course.

https://sheffcol.ac.uk/courses/page/B4FCBC1F-FD8F-47C6-8A10-CA7D237C72E9
https://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/courses/page/AF69DDF2-E314-41DE-8708-0041B07D398C

I've emailed the course leader and she said the Level 3 course is done over one year for mature students rather than the two mentioned (not sure yet whether that means fewer modules or double the work for the one year?). I'd prefer to start on the HNC course but I really question whether I'd have the knowledge to make an easy transition onto it and I don't want to find I struggle and consider leaving it.

So I think the Level 3 course is best for me, even though I'd rather have a quicker timeline to a potential job/career (and it does say the Level 3 course leads nicely onto the HNC which I could do the following year), but should I apply for both in case? Maybe after a later interview/chat about the course, they tell me that they think I could handle it.

I've also seen two similar courses at a different college which look good but I don't really want to move away. But should I apply for all of them, as there is no guarantee I'll get my first choice anyway? I don't know whether they give priority to school leavers over mature students if there are too many applications to spaces on the course? I know you get to make 5 UCAS applications in total so imagine it's a good idea to put 5 in.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Hoped to find some advice for mature students here. I'm certainly not looking for a 3 year degree course at this stage, I've realised I should be aiming for the level 4 course HNC so think that will be my priority. If it goes well there seems to be the option to go onto join the diploma level 5 course if I'm wanting to further study.

But due to financial reasons I might just want to try and find a job in the wildlife industry then, maybe in animal conservation or rescue. If anyone has studied a similar course or has knowledge working in the industry I'd love to hear any advice.

I'd also like to know where I should start regarding study preparations for a course. I need to practice general study skills along with improving my knowledge in relevant areas as I don't want to start at a disadvantage. Should I just be looking at A-Level Biology in the Ecology/zoology modules to get up to speed there?
You may have to start with a level 2 and work your way up to the Level 3 (You usually need a Merit or above in Level 2) and Level 4 (You usually need a Merit or above in Level 3) unless you have work experience or transferrable skill and a Level 2 in another subject, but I wouldn't recommend jumping to Level 3 or 4, learn to walk before you run (if you are to good at level 2 they may move you up to Level 3)

But learn the basics first Level 2 is a nice easy introduction to the Animal Care industry and you can see if it's really for you without putting too much pressure on yourself

But that's just my opinion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending