The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

University of Hertfordshire applicants 2018/19

Hi All,

I've started this thread up for those of you thinking of applying to Herts for 2018/19 :h:

We've got plenty of great courses for you to choose from and amazing facilities on our 2 campuses.

If you've got any questions about courses, accommodation, student life etc. ask away!

We offer loads of support for our students whatever issue they are facing, so if you've got any concerns don't be afraid to ask :u:

Thanks,
Heather

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there, I am wishing to study at Hertfordshire in September 2018. I am going to apply for the MPhys Astrophysics course, and am just wondering where abouts the School of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics is based in the university. I am looking to apply for the Telford Court accommodation and am interested to see how far away I will be from my relevant School. Thanks!
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by PJW99
Hey there, I am wishing to study at Hertfordshire in September 2018. I am going to apply for the MPhys Astrophysics course, and am just wondering where abouts the School of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics is based in the university. I am looking to apply for the Telford Court accommodation and am interested to see how far away I will be from my relevant School. Thanks!

Hi there,

It's great you're hoping to study with us next year :smile: The School of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics is on our College Lane campus. The Telford Court accommodation is on College Lane as well so it'll be a very short walk to lectures! You can see what our accommodation is like on our website here.

As an astrophysics student you'll also get to use our observatory at Bayfordbury (about 20 mins from campus) which is really cool and regarded as one of the best teaching observatories in the UK!

Are you hoping to come along to one of our open days?

If you've got any other questions, just let us know!

Heather
I'm really interested to study at Herts September next year and I am going to apply to Herts for Mass communications or criminology (not 100% sure which yet)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Dreamgirlxx
I'm really interested to study at Herts September next year and I am going to apply to Herts for Mass communications or criminology (not 100% sure which yet) however my predicted grades are lower that the requirements (CCC instead of BBC) therefore I am really worried that I will not get accepted any advice?

Hi there,

Glad you're interested in studying at Herts! Are you coming along to one of our open days? You'll get to speak to our lecturers and current students and learn more about the courses, which is great for helping you make your decision!

I studied English Literature with New Media Publishing at Herts. New Media Publishing is one of the subjects you study in Mass Communications. The courses are a nice mixture of practical and theoretical and give you loads of practical skills for future work.

Criminology is one of our newer courses and it sounds really interesting! In the Law school we have our replica crown court which was used to film Eastenders! You can take a look at it here.

In terms of results, try not to worry too much. Focus on your studies and you may surprise yourself! I wouldn't be able to say whether you'll be accepted, but I do know that both courses went into Clearing this year.

If you've got any other questions, just let us know.

Thanks,
Heather
Reply 5
I'd really like to apply to Hertfordshire to study 3D Games Art and Design (The work on the course page is amazing) but I'm a little unsure about putting together some kind of portfolio... When would the portfolio need to be put together by? What format is preferable (physical, online etc)? What kind of work should be included?

Also if I were successful with my application should I be at a certain level of any particular software before the year starts? Or does the course cater to those who haven't used software such as zbrush (just an example) previously?
Original post by paaru
I'd really like to apply to Hertfordshire to study 3D Games Art and Design (The work on the course page is amazing) but I'm a little unsure about putting together some kind of portfolio... When would the portfolio need to be put together by? What format is preferable (physical, online etc)? What kind of work should be included?

Also if I were successful with my application should I be at a certain level of any particular software before the year starts? Or does the course cater to those who haven't used software such as zbrush (just an example) previously?

Hi paaru,

It's great you'd like to apply to Herts, we're well known for our animation courses! The Creative Arts lecturers have actually created videos with tips on how to put your portfolio together, specific for each course. You can take a look at them here - https://vimeo.com/album/4284984. I'm not too sure on the answers to your other questions, I'll contact someone in the School of Creative Arts and will get back to you!

Thanks,
Heather
Original post by paaru

Hey paaru,

I've checked with one of our Animation technicians, and he said the most important skills for an applicant is some life drawing and anatomy skills, and some 3D work, preferably in Maya or ZBrush.

A very basic knowledge of this, and then a strong portfolio of work where we can see a good understanding of anatomy and structure would work well. Also, if you have some animation in there, that’s always good, and some idea about the principles of animation (e.g. squash and stretch, timing etc) will stand you in good stead. Obviously the 3D stuff depends on which pathway you're planning to take; if you’re looking towards 2D then it doesn’t matter too much.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to get in touch with any questions.

Kind regards,

Rhianna
The School of Creative Arts
The University of Hertfordshire
Hi,

I'm hoping to go to Hertfordshire 2018 or 2019 for 2D animation, and I was hoping to stay home throughout my time there. I live in Cambridge, meaning I'd have to get the train for this to be a possibility, and I was wondering if there were discounts on tickets or any other extra info for student commuting in?
Original post by Blood_Orange
Hi,

I'm hoping to go to Hertfordshire 2018 or 2019 for 2D animation, and I was hoping to stay home throughout my time there. I live in Cambridge, meaning I'd have to get the train for this to be a possibility, and I was wondering if there were discounts on tickets or any other extra info for student commuting in?

Hi,

Glad to hear you're thinking of studying here, our animation courses are great and very popular! The train from Cambridge to Hatfield takes about an hour, and then you'll need to grab a bus from the station to campus (about 15 mins). There's a student railcard you can get, which should help, here's the info.

The students' union hold special social events for students that commute including a commuters breakfast where you can meet fellow commuters for breakfast before lectures :smile:

I commuted throughout my degree, so if you've got any other questions, just let me know :smile:

Thanks,
Heather
I am really interested in studying at Herts Uni.I have just applied for Psychology course through UCAS and I am a student from Greece.How long does it usually take to get an offer/response ?
Original post by Eleni490
I am really interested in studying at Herts Uni.I have just applied for Psychology course through UCAS and I am a student from Greece.How long does it usually take to get an offer/response ?

Hi Eleni490,

Welcome to Herts! It's great that you're interested in studying Psychology with us. The time it takes to receive an offer varies but it usually takes about 2 weeks.

We have one of the largest university Psychology departments in the UK. You can choose modules in a range of topics including cyberpsychology and the psychology of performing arts.

You can take a look around our Science building here and our main building here.

Do you have any questions at all about the course of Herts in general?

Thanks,
Heather
Hi there,
i am looking forward to studying radiotherapy and oncology at Hertfordshire Uni 2018 entry
Hows the university life? & how diverse is it
i was wondering about the course and whats exactly expected from me, as well as how many students are accepted for this course?
also the maths and literacy test ?How should i prepare
As i live in london, id have to take the uno bus if im correct, i was wondering about its bus prices and if theres any discounts

Much appreciated :smile:
Original post by goldxnprincxss
Hi there,
i am looking forward to studying radiotherapy and oncology at Hertfordshire Uni 2018 entry
Hows the university life? & how diverse is it
i was wondering about the course and whats exactly expected from me, as well as how many students are accepted for this course?
also the maths and literacy test ?How should i prepare
As i live in london, id have to take the uno bus if im correct, i was wondering about its bus prices and if theres any discounts

Much appreciated :smile:

Hey goldxnprincxss!

While I cant comment much about the course (I will leave my colleague to reply to that question). I can give you a little information about uni life and the bus situation.

University life at Herts is pretty active. There's usually lots of events being organised by the SU and even more by individual societies if you decide to join one. Diversity is something we strive to cultivate and I can honestly say during my time as a student I met so many different people from different walks of life! It was great!
Night life mostly revolves around the Forum, the Elehouse and the various pubs and clubs in the area.
There's also some good shopping close by to campus. The Galleria is a small outlet mall with cinema, restaurants and lots of fashion outlets. There's also a big Asda, Aldi and Spar within walking distance of both campus's.

Regarding the Uno bus. The regular fare is usually £5.30 return (this includes travelling around if you need to catch a local bus for the whole day). You can also grab their app which I think offers a discount.
Hatfield has some pretty good train links too if that's a little easier for you!

All the best,

David
Original post by David Trebus
Hey goldxnprincxss!

While I cant comment much about the course (I will leave my colleague to reply to that question). I can give you a little information about uni life and the bus situation.

University life at Herts is pretty active. There's usually lots of events being organised by the SU and even more by individual societies if you decide to join one. Diversity is something we strive to cultivate and I can honestly say during my time as a student I met so many different people from different walks of life! It was great!
Night life mostly revolves around the Forum, the Elehouse and the various pubs and clubs in the area.
There's also some good shopping close by to campus. The Galleria is a small outlet mall with cinema, restaurants and lots of fashion outlets. There's also a big Asda, Aldi and Spar within walking distance of both campus's.

Regarding the Uno bus. The regular fare is usually £5.30 return (this includes travelling around if you need to catch a local bus for the whole day). You can also grab their app which I think offers a discount.
Hatfield has some pretty good train links too if that's a little easier for you!

All the best,

David

Hi goldxnprincxss,

Following on from David's reply, I can let you know a bit more about the course. Each cohort contains about 40 or so students for radiotherapy. In terms of your preparation where are you presently in the application cycle? Have you been to an open day and attended the radiotherapy talk? The admissions tutor for the course gives you an insight into the course but also things they are looking for when you are making your application. We also have this information sheet to help you with finding some work experience.

With regards to the numeracy and literacy tests, if you are worried about them i'd suggest a quick search on google and you will find quite a few practice papers and forums that should help you out.

Graham
Reply 15
Hello I'm looking to apply for the foundation degree in animal managment 2018. I'm classed as a mature student as I will be 27 when it starts. I am considering living in halls to experience the true uni life however I'm concerned about the 18 difference with flatmates. What's the normal age ranges in halls? I'm very young at heart and have friends who are only 18 already and want a good social life with going out etc but equally some nights I like to just relax. Anyone else has this concern before? Thankyou
Original post by SLUCK27
Hello I'm looking to apply for the foundation degree in animal managment 2018. I'm classed as a mature student as I will be 27 when it starts. I am considering living in halls to experience the true uni life however I'm concerned about the 18 difference with flatmates. What's the normal age ranges in halls? I'm very young at heart and have friends who are only 18 already and want a good social life with going out etc but equally some nights I like to just relax. Anyone else has this concern before? Thankyou

Hey there Sluck27,

Being a mature student myself I know exactly where you're coming from!
In all honestly, you tend to get younger people in halls. However you do also get a proportion of older (mature) students staying in halls too.
Ultimately if you want to get the full Uni experience then staying in halls is a great choice. It puts you close to all the night venues, classes and societies.

All the best,

David
Reply 17
This may be a silly question, but do you have to pay your rent for on campus accommodation all at once. Or is it weekly/monthly?
I went to the open day yesterday for Music Industry Management - great campus! Only issue being that I won't have the required UCAS 112 points for the course. Would I still have a chance through clearing with my predicted 96?
Original post by Benji_H
This may be a silly question, but do you have to pay your rent for on campus accommodation all at once. Or is it weekly/monthly?

When you apply for your student loan for your course, you also apply for a maintenance loan. It's done online, based on your parents' income. Its then taken from your bank from university every term, I believe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest