The Student Room Group

UCAS points

I'm really confused about these. Before I just thought unis looked at your personal statements, gcses, and predicted grades for a level (and as levels, interviews etc.). Do they all look at UCAS points as well?

Are UCAS points just a number representation of 'required grades at a level'? That is, if you're predicted say A*AA, that adds up to 152 points, which is the requirement at Oxford, you would get in? Regardless of AS levels adding up points?

The question probably won't make sense as I'm very confused about it all. Would someone mind clearing it up for me ? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lukerules1234
I'm really confused about these. Before I just thought unis looked at your personal statements, gcses, and predicted grades for a level (and as levels, interviews etc.). Do they all look at UCAS points as well?

Are UCAS points just a number representation of 'required grades at a level'? That is, if you're predicted say A*AA, that adds up to 152 points, which is the requirement at Oxford, you would get in? Regardless of AS levels adding up points?

The question probably won't make sense as I'm very confused about it all. Would someone mind clearing it up for me ? :smile:

For courses that have high entry requirements you will usually have to meet an offer achieving specific grades. If you miss those specific subject grades you may not get your place. Courses with lower entry requirements may require you to achieve specific grades or may be more flexible in what you are required to achieve by specifying the number of points your qualifications have to be worth.
Original post by gdunne42
For courses that have high entry requirements you will usually have to meet an offer achieving specific grades. If you miss those specific subject grades you may not get your place. Courses with lower entry requirements may require you to achieve specific grades or may be more flexible in what you are required to achieve by specifying the number of points your qualifications have to be worth.

On Oxford (for geog) it says "A*AA"; this is the requirement, yes? It doesn't mention anything about UCAS tariff points. After all the interviews, TSA etc. they will say "okay, get A*AA at a level and you're in". It won't work if you get A*A*B?

Conversely, for Staffodshire uni (for geog), it specifically says the UCAS point requirements is typically 240 and CCC for A levels. Does this mean if you get A*CD, and this still adds up to past 240, you will still get accepted?

Is it because Oxford is a higher tier it just asks for grades?
(edited 6 years ago)
On Oxford (for geog) it says "A*AA"; this is the requirement, yes? It doesn't mention anything about UCAS tariff points. After all the interviews, TSA etc. they will say "okay, get A*AA at a level and you're in". It won't work if you get A*A*B?

Conversely, for Staffodshire uni (for geog), it specifically says the UCAS point requirements is typically 240 and CCC for A levels. Does this mean if you get A*CD, and this still adds up to past 240, you will still get accepted?

You will not get a UCAS tariff points offer from Oxford. Their offer would be for specific grades and you almost certainly won't get in if you don't match the offer even if your results have the same or even better UCAS tariff points.

Staffordshire is typical of a university that would make a flexible offer for many courses as in your example, CCC or the equivalent points from a different combination of results.
(edited 6 years ago)
You will not get a UCAS tariff points offer from Oxford. Their offer would be for specific grades and you almost certainly won't get in if you don't match the offer even if your results have the same or even better UCAS tariff points.

Staffordshire is typical of a university that would make a flexible offer for many courses as in your example, either CCC or the equivalent points from a different combination of results.

Ah I see. So universities only have UCAS points for 'ease of entrance'; for russel group universities where it's supposed to be more elite they don't have the points, just required grades?
Ah I see. So universities only have UCAS points for 'ease of entrance'; for russel group universities where it's supposed to be more elite they don't have the points, just required grades?

It's not as black and white as you suggest. Universities set whatever entry requirements they deem appropriate and may set specific grades from some courses and more flexible offers for others. In general the the more popular, competitive courses at the more highly ranked universities are likely to require specific grade results. You need to check entry requirements for what you want to study.
It's not as black and white as you suggest. Universities set whatever entry requirements they deem appropriate and may set specific grades from some courses and more flexible offers for others. In general the the more popular, competitive courses at the more highly ranked universities are likely to require specific grade results. You need to check entry requirements for what you want to study.

So they definitely say on their entry requirements page whether they require UCAS points and/or just grades?
So they definitely say on their entry requirements page whether they require UCAS points and/or just grades?

Yes

Hi,

We use UCAS points for your application and the grades are on the website as an example of what will achieve this (some of our courses have specific grade requirements for particular subjects), however consider each application individually. If you wanted to go through anything in detail then you can talk directly with our enquiries team ([email protected] or 01782 294400) or by sending a personal message to us on here and we will help you.

Kris

Quick Reply

Latest