The Student Room Group

Students with autism

Will UCAS accept applicants with 2 A levels if they have a diagnosis of Autism?
Hello :smile:

This isn't particularly a UCAS matter, but rather dependent on the universities you wish to apply for. Most 'higher-tier' universities, such as the Russell Group, ask for a minimum of three A-Levels, and will provide a student with an offer provided that they obtain a specific grade or higher (for instance, I have an offer for ABB, so I need to meet that offer or achieve higher than that to be accepted into that university).

For universities that give students offers based on UCAS points, many of them do allow those UCAS points to come from 2 A-Levels. Once again, you'll have to check the specific universities' pages for the course you wish to study as to how many points you'll need, and if they'll accept UCAS points (for example, two Bs would equal 80 UCAS points).

If you mention in your UCAS personal statement or within the specific 'More About You' section on UCAS that you have autism, they *may* consider those as mitigating circumstances, but its unlikely, and at the university's discretion. Foundation years are available for many courses if you do not have the appropriate qualifications :smile:
Original post by Mum1968

Nearly all universities require 3 A levels. Whether a university will make allowance for Autism only that univerrsity can tell. They make allowances for medical conditions but I doubt it will extend to accepting 2 A levels
Original post by Mum1968

Hi,
This is down to the specific university and their requirements, as stated above. Most do require 3 but you may be able to apply for mitigating circumstances. If not, some universities offer foundation courses which will have lower entry grades and if you have enough UCAS points, some universities may consider your application. A foundation course is an extra year where you will get to know a subject more broadly, preparing you for university and giving you the qualification that will help you get into a degree. I think you may need to email specific universities that you are looking into and check whether their requirements regarding this though and also whether they are looking at you specific grades/ amount of subjects or the UCAS points that you have achieved.
Hope this helps!
-Malek
University of Kent Rep
Reply 4
If a Uni wants 3 A levels it wont make any difference if you have Autism or not, they will still want 3 A levels.

If you are only doing 2 A levels then you need to look at Unis with low UCAS points requirements, or a Foundation year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending