The Student Room Group

gcse computing or geography for becoming a architect?

Which would be a better choice for becoming a architect?
Computing or Geography
Reply 1
Hi there,
At GCSE stage, it really does not matter what subjects you take in preparation for your future career aspirations. If anything, take the one which you're more likely to do better in. People care about your grades rather than what subjects, if they even care about GCSEs at all.

I don't know a huge deal about going into architecture, so i'll say take the gcse subject corresponding to any a-level choices you need to make. For example, if you will need a-level geography for architecture, then take it now because you can't take a-level geography without it. (Well, unless you do a lot of self-teaching.) I think art is important, so ensure you have that under your belt?

I took both computing and geography so feel free to ask about those.

Don't worry about these two too much though, as they aren't particularly relevant anyway. I'm applying for medicine, and i'll tell you that knowing about the formation of caves or the parts of a motherboard really won't help me get into med school, but the fact that I got good grades in both subjects will.

(If you're super keen on the subjects bearing some relevance to architecture though, I'd go with geog?? idk still quite unrelated)

Best of luck! :smile::smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Geography would probably be better in this case than computing because computing has nothing to do with architecture.
I can think of geography relating to civil engineering/architecture, but not computing.

What other subjects are you doing?
Good advice from sherrlynn. It doesnt matter at GCSE, even at A level it doesnt matter too much but you always need to check the individual entrance requirements Where they express a preference then its towards Maths, Physics, Design and Technology.

Quick Reply

Latest