The Student Room Group

Is Mandarin mandatory in schools now?

Anyone in school now know if Mandarin is mandatory?
No.
Nah. If you think about it, it's never been offered much so not many brits are really gonna be qualified enough in the language to actually teach it, so you're not gonna get anywhere near enough decent teachers in to allow you to make it mandatory.
Original post by karl pilkington

Only if you have an Asian parent...

It's nowhere close to mandatory. Virtually no secondary schools teach it - you either have to get a private tutor or have your parents teach you (as was the case with me). There just wouldn't be enough demand for it - at my school (total 1400 pupils), I took the exam with just three other people.
It is incredibly difficult for foreigners to speak Mandarin to the extent that they can teach it. The tones are very difficult to get right, only one or two years of living in China can help achieve that.
Original post by shawn_o1
It is incredibly difficult for foreigners to speak Mandarin to the extent that they can teach it. The tones are very difficult to get right, only one or two years of living in China can help achieve that.

Yeah that was not my question most of the teachers are Chinese nationals however I thought that the government made it a mandatory language.
no, but at my highschool you had to study two languages, and mandarin was one of the options (french, italian, german, spanish, mandarin)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by karl pilkington
Not as far as I'm aware but I know it's growing in popularity.

I think a better question is: Should Mandarin be mandatory in schools?:tongue:
In China and Taiwan, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending