The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've applied Hull-York... hoping for the best.
Original post by ScienceFantatic

Me too! What are your stats?
Hey!
I'm now applying to HYMS!

My stats:
GCSE's: 8A*'s, 3A's
AS levels: AABB
Predictions: A*A*A
UKCAT: 662.5 average (2650)
Lots of long term volunteering and 1 week work experience placement.
Hey I really liked the look of HYMS as I liked the friendly atmosphere and I want to leave London!

Stats
2:1 in Biomedical Sciences from SGUL
UKCAT score of 2800 and SJT of Band 2
A-Level grades of A*AB
GCSE grades: 6A*'S, 3A'S and 1B
Volunteer as a unit support assistant in a Hospice
Volunteer for St John Ambulance
I tutor children GCSE Biology after finishing my degree
Lots of work experience placements in Pathology, Hepatology, G.P surgery and Oncology
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ScienceFantatic

I have applied too:smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway
Hi guys, I'm a fourth year at HYMS.to help us
I'm a bit rusty on the application side of things as it was quite a while ago for me but if you have any questions about HYMS i'm happy to try and answer them!
Good luck to you all! :smile:

Hi thank you for kindly offering to answer questions here. I have lots of questions. Basically would you say there is early patient contact? How does it feel to be part of two medical school advantages and disadvantages ? Are study facilities good? Exam feedback good enough?
Sorry for asking a lot of questions hope you can help.TIA
hi,

i know this is kind of wishful thinking, but for hyms interviews, in the two 'structured' interviews, are they personal statement based? or standard questions for everyone??

Thanks!
Original post by hopefulmedic234
hi,

i know this is kind of wishful thinking, but for hyms interviews, in the two 'structured' interviews, are they personal statement based? or standard questions for everyone??

Thanks!

From what I've remembered there is almost no question on personal statement last year. They should be mostly scenario based questions.
just received an email of acknowledgment from HYMS!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:
has everyone got an acknowledgement email because i haven't :frown:
Original post by chemistry002
has everyone got an acknowledgement email because i haven't :frown:

I got mine an hour ago
I'm sure it'll come through soon
Original post by Gapmed2018
I got mine an hour ago
I'm sure it'll come through soon

lol imagine i just get a straight up rejection. Not even an acknowledgement
Original post by chemistry002
lol imagine i just get a straight up rejection. Not even an acknowledgement

I highly doubt it lol
Original post by Brother24
Hi thank you for kindly offering to answer questions here. I have lots of questions. Basically would you say there is early patient contact? How does it feel to be part of two medical school advantages and disadvantages ? Are study facilities good? Exam feedback good enough?
Sorry for asking a lot of questions hope you can help.TIA

Hiya, sorry for the delay in replying :smile:
1. Patient contact = FANTASTIC. You're talking to patients in the hospital in week 2/3 of first year and it only increases from there. It's fantastic, you develop consultation skills from the very beginning - so by the time you reach clinical years (third) you don't have all of that to deal with first. I honestly don't know how some medical schools leave it so long before you see patients - it's ridiculous! The only way to learn is to get in there!
2. Two medical schools: There really are only advantages here in that you basically have all the benefits of two universities (in terms of resources etc). In the first two years you stay in your base site and become part of a really great community (it's only a small year group - another benefit of HYMS). Then when you start moving around in third year you have a whole other university campus to get involved in.
3. Facilities are great as far as i've seen. I'm a yorkie and we have a purpose built medical school on campus. The hullies have got the brand new building that's opening this year too, so that's bound to have all the bells and whistles! The hospital sites have dedicated HYMS areas with plenty of facilities to use (libraries, IT rooms, pretend 'wards' all set up for practice)
4. Exam feedback wise....They're pretty good at giving you feedback throughout the year (regular reviews with tutors) then you get written feedback for you practical exams at the end of the year. In terms of the end of year written exams I believe you get more feedback if you have to resit, but otherwise you get a breakdown per module and that's about it.

Hope that helps - any more questions fire away!
Original post by Gapmed2018
I highly doubt it lol

dw it came through today
1. Patient contact = FANTASTIC. You're talking to patients in the hospital in week 2/3 of first year and it only increases from there. It's fantastic, you develop consultation skills from the very beginning - so by the time you reach clinical years (third) you don't have all of that to deal with first. I honestly don't know how some medical schools leave it so long before you see patients - it's ridiculous! The only way to learn is to get in there!
2. Two medical schools: There really are only advantages here in that you basically have all the benefits of two universities (in terms of resources etc). In the first two years you stay in your base site and become part of a really great community (it's only a small year group - another benefit of HYMS). Then when you start moving around in third year you have a whole other university campus to get involved in.
3. Facilities are great as far as i've seen. I'm a yorkie and we have a purpose built medical school on campus. The hullies have got the brand new building that's opening this year too, so that's bound to have all the bells and whistles! The hospital sites have dedicated HYMS areas with plenty of facilities to use (libraries, IT rooms, pretend 'wards' all set up for practice)
4. Exam feedback wise....They're pretty good at giving you feedback throughout the year (regular reviews with tutors) then you get written feedback for you practical exams at the end of the year. In terms of the end of year written exams I believe you get more feedback if you have to resit, but otherwise you get a breakdown per module and that's about it.

Do you get less support being in a PBL environment compared to other med schools? As in are you left to do your own thing or do you feel guided? (I know you may not be able to compare as you probably haven't experienced other course structures)

Also, are you able to choose where you're situated or is it sort of assigned to you?

Thank you for your help.
Original post by GrandExecutioner
Do you get less support being in a PBL environment compared to other med schools? As in are you left to do your own thing or do you feel guided? (I know you may not be able to compare as you probably haven't experienced other course structures)

Also, are you able to choose where you're situated or is it sort of assigned to you?

I'm only a first year but I may be able to help. Here's what my week looks like(our weeks start on a Thursday):
Thursday - 2 lectures in the morning, afternoon 1hr30 clinical skills, 1hr30 PBL
Friday- 2/3 lectures
Monday- in the morning anatomy, followed by 1hr30 mins clinical skills and 1hr30 PBL in the afternoon
Tuesday- 2 lectures in the morning, placement in the afternoon. (both GP and hospital, it changes each week)
Wednesday- SSIP in the morning then afternoons off.

So, as you can see it is very varied. PBL is very much self-directed, but you are given many lectures which support that weeks PBL, you see patients with the illness related to that weeks PBL, you study anatomy and see prosetions related to that weeks cases etc, so there is lots of help available. You also have a PBL tutor who is there to guide you too! There is plenty of help available, you will never feel lost if you ask. You also get put into a medic family which is great.

As for choosing sites, you can if you live within a certain distance of either place, or if you are international. I am at Hull though and I couldnt be happier. The city centre has been refurbished, there are 3 HUGE shopping centres, one is new. We have the new medical school which is brilliant, there are mock hospital wards, clinical skills rooms, PBL rooms, study areas, scrubbing in rooms, anaesthetic rooms etc. The library is fantastic and is open 24hrs, we have our own floor which is great. I am also staying in brand new accomodation. There are newly refurbished ensuite student houses, as well as the brand new halls (courtyard). The nightlife is amazing, we have an on campus nightclub and if you decide to go into Hull then there are some fantastic cocktail bars and nightclubs within walking distance.You get to know everyone in the year very quickly during freshers week, which included medsoc bar crawls, etc. The medics are really close knit and the first and second years gel really well. It's amazing to be part of!
Original post by Orangeflower6
/

Sounds like you're enjoying the first few weeks! It only gets better!

Hey I wanted to know do the people who are part of York and Hull go to the same lectures?

Latest

Trending

Trending