The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks a lot guys for all the help. :smile:

I m just goin to have to decide between trinity and kings. I believe kings is also more multicultural right? BTW at ur interviews how did u guys answer the scientific questions. Well i guess i mean do they expect u 2 know a lot of things. I have no idea wot the med interview will entail but from wot i have heard they never ask u about ur volunteering or work experience. Its more based on science.
Reply 21
Helenia
Cool. How was Dubai/NZ? *not jealous at all :tongue:*

Hmmm, I don't really know either. It's possibly a combination. I have the same MIMS supervisor as the Christ's students and I got a 3rd on my tripos paper :redface: (2:1 overall). I guess that with Christ's rep, really academic people apply there - I didn't want to because I'm not a really hard worker (and because of the typewriter :wink:) but other people might be attracted to it. I also think the work ethos at the college is much stronger than that at Clare, although we're hardly poor academically. Besides - you're the one with the stunning results - you should know!

It was great going back to Dubai and Abu Dhabi. It was sooo hot (actually, too hot, but a nice change!). I met up with my old "best friend" during our 5 days in Abu Dhabi - we've known each other since before we could walk, so that was pretty cool. :smile:

We had 3 weeks in NZ, seeing family. Weather was a bit crap but there was the occasional good day. Remember it's winter over there. The 3 weeks' before in Australia were great though. We drove up the Sunshine coast from Brisbane to Cairns, and the weather was actually reasonably hot most of the time despite being winter (and got hotter the further north we went).

By the way, do you know who came top of the year yet? I found out who came second and third - my dissection table partners at Trinity! It's a small world! They got 230 and 229 UMS marks respectively (hope they don't mind me announcing to the world :tongue:).
Reply 22
sbailey
I wish KHL were here, I want to know whether it's true they had 5 essays a week :tongue:

Well.....wait 5 hours and he may just appear! :tongue:
Ouch, 5 essays a week sounds like = zero social life??! :eek:

MadLy - I don't wish to hear about supervisors and whips in the same sentence!

:confused: Getting too close for comfort....to what?? A past experience, a fantasy!, or just the mere imagery of your 60 yr old........ :eek: I dont wanna imagine this either.... :tongue:
Reply 23
Adil Bhai

I m just goin to have to decide between trinity and kings. I believe kings is also more multicultural right? BTW at ur interviews how did u guys answer the scientific questions. Well i guess i mean do they expect u 2 know a lot of things. I have no idea wot the med interview will entail but from wot i have heard they never ask u about ur volunteering or work experience. Its more based on science.

That's what I found. They took for granted I did the volunteering and experience I put down on my PS. Having not taken biology and cunningly chosen the maths question in the MVAT paper rather than the biology one, they decided to ask me the biology question I skipped in the interview. Often they try to throw you at first by asking you something weird, as Helenia can vouch. I wouldn't worry if you don't know the answers to their questions - they try to stretch you and see how you think, that's all. That's not to say you shouldn't be up on the news, though - they may expect that.

EDIT: It's a good idea to read a book or two on a medical subject that interests you. I chose one on the mind (The Astonishing Hypothesis, by Francis Crick), which I didn't know at the time was famous, but my interviewer (a neuranatomist) seemed to know all about it. Make sure you can talk about what you've read!
Reply 24
Adil Bhai

The interviews were mostly academic and scientific, tho I was briefly asked about my work experience and a project that I had written about in my PS. I think they expect you to know the core of the sciences, but are also looking to see how you approach questions that you dont straight away know the answer to.
Reply 25
Adil Bhai

Yes, I didn't get asked anything about volunteering etc. It was nearly entirely scientific. The interviewers showed me pictures - an LM, a radiograph and an EM if I remember rightly - and asked me questions and discussed them. Mostly A-Level based stuff, but extending it where they could.

Steve - sounds absolutely amazing! I went on guide camp for a week, and that's been it. I've been working ever since then, stuck in a poky grotty little office in a hospital audio typing :frown:

And MadLy - no, no personal experiences there! :eek: Just a very disturbing thought (or perhaps a sign of my warped mind :redface:)
Reply 26
Helenia
Steve - sounds absolutely amazing! I went on guide camp for a week, and that's been it. I've been working ever since then, stuck in a poky grotty little office in a hospital audio typing :frown:

Yeah, it was an awesome holiday. Only problem is, now I haven't exercised for over 8 weeks and I think I'm back to square one! How am I going to complete the 2k erg test when I get back?!
Reply 27
priya
what are you doing in your gap year?

I am going to California for 3 months, and I leave in two weeks!! I am doing a research internship at a university department. I might go for another one in Jan/Feb time to do some more work at a lab dealing with Parkinson's disease- one of my major interests.
sbailey
Yeah, it was an awesome holiday. Only problem is, now I haven't exercised for over 8 weeks and I think I'm back to square one! How am I going to complete the 2k erg test when I get back?!

You'll be fine. What's your PB?
Reply 29
sbailey

If you start a daily session of 3mins of squat thrusts at a proper rate, and it doesnt kill you now......you might just survive the ergs :wink: :tongue:
Reply 30
sbailey

Get someone else to do it for you :tongue:

My exercise consists of walking up and down and up and down and up and down the hospital with my little trolley, in stupid shoes :mad:

I refuse to let this thread descend to boatiedom. Keep it at the medic hijacking level!
Reply 31
BazTheMoney
You'll be fine. What's your PB?

Yes, my PB.... What's a PB? Sorry, I should probably know but I don't!

I'll guess it's to do with what time I'm aiming for. Last time I got 7:28, but hopefully I can beat that this time as it's not great. I've only been back in the gym for a week though, and at the moment it looks like I would be lucky to get 7:28 :tongue:
Reply 32
MadLy
If you start a daily session of 3mins of squat thrusts at a proper rate, and it doesnt kill you now......you might just survive the ergs :wink: :tongue:

Hey, why didn't I think of that?? At the moment my training consists of "easy cardio" (not erging :smile:), weights, and 1k on the erg (at 2k pace or faster). Trying to go every day.
sbailey
Yes, my PB.... What's a PB? Sorry, I should probably know but I don't!

I'll guess it's to do with what time I'm aiming for. Last time I got 7:28, but hopefully I can beat that this time as it's not great. I've only been back in the gym for a week though, and at the moment it looks like I would be lucky to get 7:28 :tongue:

knock 90 seconds off that and you can do it with me.

Nah, seriously, that's not that bad.
Reply 34
BazTheMoney

But you're not rowing any more, dearest :tongue:

:mad: Talk about nice things, people! I'm not a boatie! :mad:
Reply 35
BazTheMoney

It's OK, I know it's not great. It was enough to get me into 3rd boat in the second term, though. Although 3rd boat is the right level of commitment for me, I would still like to improve on that time, as my teammates have all improved in the term I stopped rowing, and gone from 7:30+ to ~7:15. Don't want to be the worst one on the team :smile:
Helenia
But you're not rowing any more, dearest :tongue:

I know. :tongue: Unlike you...

In fact, I might have to stalk your BC captain and find out what boat you're in, that go out in a single skull and crash into you.
sbailey
It's OK, I know it's not great. It was enough to get me into 3rd boat in the second term, though. Although 3rd boat is the right level of commitment for me, I would still like to improve on that time, as my teammates have all improved in the term I stopped rowing, and gone from 7:30+ to ~7:15. Don't want to be the worst one on the team :smile:

Well, having a fast erg score isn't everything, it's all about transferring the pace in the gym onto the water, and some are better at that than others. I mean, my PB is 5.57 (not that I'm in any condition to do that now) but on the water I was the same as a 6.15 or something.
Reply 38
BazTheMoney
I know. :tongue: Unlike you...

In fact, I might have to stalk your BC captain and find out what boat you're in, that go out in a single skull and crash into you.

I'll be in the slow one, looking like I'm dying. You won't need to crash into me. And why would you want to do that anyway? Wouldn't serve you any useful purpose :tongue:
Helenia
I'll be in the slow one, looking like I'm dying. You won't need to crash into me. And why would you want to do that anyway? Wouldn't serve you any useful purpose :tongue:

It would annoy you. :tongue: Have you decided on your side yet? (stroke or bow)

Latest

Trending

Trending