The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What subject /college did you apply for? Economics at Trinity Hall

Predicted Grades? 43 IB

How did your interviews go? Ask another question

What questions were u asked? Easy ones which make them the more ominous

How did you feel b4/after your interview? Pretty good at b4 and right after; absolute disaster now in retrospective

What is your college like?

How did the Interviewers respond?
Totally Tom
:frown: That makes the two of us.

Yeah, it's annoying, isn't it? As soon as I left I realised that I could answer most of the questions, yet in the room I was just a complete idiot and froze, blurting random things out. Ouch! :s-smilie:
Epitomessence
Yeah, it's annoying, isn't it? As soon as I left I realised that I could answer most of the questions, yet in the room I was just a complete idiot and froze, blurting random things out. Ouch! :s-smilie:

Are you me?! :eek:
The Solitary Reaper

:frown: This is so sucky. And the whole city is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lovely!

I thought that Mrs Jackson was really friendly, and her office :O huuugee. And cosy.

:frown:
Reply 24
The Solitary Reaper

Nah m8, im pretty sure thats me...

In retrospect the questions were sooooo answerable, so im really not happy :|
Totally Tom
:frown: That makes the two of us.

4 of us :frown: and i really loved cambridge
You'll probably feel much better after you see the oxford bloopers thread. XD
Reply 27
I bet most of the people who publicly complain that they have blown it end up getting in.
TheMagician
You'll probably feel much better after you see the oxford bloopers thread. XD

Err, not really. They get offers by now.
What subject /college did you apply for?
Economics at Fitz

Predicted Grades?
AAAAA (if including Crit Thinking)

How did your interviews go?
Um, 3/10, 4 most...

What questions were u asked?
Nothing I revised... The teacher said it'd be more macro and they gave me micro -_- Then the general interview was terrible too :frown:

How did you feel b4/after your interview?
Got there waaay too early (as I stayed the night), and just watched and felt sicker and sicker as each of the other interviewees went in (and came back). I missed lunch - coincided with interview - so my stomach was grumbling really loud during TSA :frown:

Never visited Fitz before, and I must say I liked it a lot better than I thought I would! The rooms are lovely, and the hall is splendid. I only wish they'd turn the heater higher at night (as I was shivering) and for the college to be closer to town :smile: - I walked from the station.

Dunno... Some positive but some negative. I think I peeved one guy by saying "I'm guessing..." too much. Then got the simplest of simple questions wrong :frown::frown:
The Solitary Reaper

It's irritating, isn't it? I mean, I know that worrying about it doesn't resolve a damned thing, yet, I can't help scolding myself, because in retrospect I see that my questions weren't impossible, they weren't even very hard, they were just quite hard, yet I answered them like an absolute fool.

@ Totally Tom: I'm in love with Cambridge too. I realised as I was walking away that that might be my last time there. :frown: :frown:
Totally Tom
Err, not really. They get offers by now.

Er, if you applied for Oxford you might've received your offer. But for everyone at Cambridge we'll have to wait until the 3rd.
Economics at Jesus

Predicted Grades?
AAAA (maths, FM, French, Economics)

One went really well, one pretty badly. TSA was really good! :smile:

About game theory (on a sheet to fill in) about Directors Law, and my opinion of it, some differentiation, something about correlations and something about alcohol prices in bars.

Before - I'll never get in, so it doesn't matter.
After - I'll never get in, it didn't matter!

Gorgeous.

First one said: That's exactly right a lot, the second one didn't say much as i was floundering for most of it!
Reply 33

Economics

Predicted Grades? ABAAA (Economics, Accounting [attained grades already], Maths, Further Maths and German)

How did your interviews go? It's difficult to say, but the first one went better than the second. I was asked some pretty hard questions on stuff I didn't know loads about, but I got quite a few nods. Second one; disaster!

What questions were u asked? The first one was focussed mainly on subprime lending in the US, a bit about game theory and then some stuff on GDP and economic growth. Second one I was asked a stats question, and then some graph sketching.

How did you feel b4/after your interview? Didn't really feel anything before..but afterwards I was killing myself for messing up the easiest of maths questions.

What is your college like? Wicked

How did the Interviewers respond? Difficult to say really, the second lot though, when I sketched the asymptote and said the word, he went "Yes! Well done! Asymptote!" just a tad bit patronising :frown:
Reply 34
econ/ pembroke

Predicted Grades?
yeah...idk

first one? i felt like she was incredibly patronizing, asked me about quantum gravity (ok, yeah, im doing an independent study on it, but still) then asked me about regular gravity... she seemed reluctant to ask actual economics questions, but when she did, those went fine.
second one? they asked me about fish in the north sea. and asked me to solve the quota problem...my solution was one the economists were actually thinking of using, but i pointed out fairly obvious problems with the solution...and then my interviewers told me to think of a better solution.
failed their calc question though. :frown:

kinda covered that above
written test...failed the question about sub-prime lending in the us...

before- excited, scared, excited
after- like i had failed miserably and horribly

absolutely gorgeous. i love it.

they kept leading me and pulling answers out of me, so it was hard to know what to say. one of their answers they wanted was "all the fish would die". but i tried to avoid saying that so i wouldnt sound like a ****** on crack.

question- does cambridge do provisional acceptances? and what are predicted grades?
Reply 35
tpeteete
question- does cambridge do provisional acceptances? and what are predicted grades?

If you don't have your final grades yet, they'll give you an offer subject to you achieving certain marks in your exams. It's usually AAA for A level students.
Reply 36
falls_whisper

Never visited Fitz before, and I must say I liked it a lot better than I thought I would! The rooms are lovely, and the hall is splendid. I only wish they'd turn the heater higher at night (as I was shivering) and for the college to be closer to town :smile: - I walked from the station.

Hahahahaha :rofl:
tpeteete
econ/ pembroke

Predicted Grades?
yeah...idk

first one? i felt like she was incredibly patronizing, asked me about quantum gravity (ok, yeah, im doing an independent study on it, but still) then asked me about regular gravity... she seemed reluctant to ask actual economics questions, but when she did, those went fine.
second one?

written test...failed the question about sub-prime lending in the us...

Written test?? What written test, Pembroke only asks you to do the TSA. I am getting really confused.

The first lady must be the physics person. I don't do physics so she didn't ask.
It sounds like you got harder questions in your 2nd interview than me because the stats question they asked was quite simple although I was prompt because I couldn't think straight.
I heard Pembroke is really over-subscribed for Economics this year. So I imagine a lot of people will be pooled (or not, depending on the quality of the applicants which I gather to be brilliant based on the people on the TSA who have applied but TSA isn't really representative of the nation but then neither are Cambridge applicants so I'm gona shut up now).
I'd hate to be pooled because I've set my heart on Pembroke. Just have to wait and see what comes on the 3rd Jan.
valeryblack
4 of us :frown: and i really loved cambridge

that makes 5 of us! :frown:

gosh..i messed up soo bad! i took FOREVER on like ONE EASY (shudda been easy) question....AHH..so frustrating..!

will decisions be on UCAS as well as posted on 'The Letter'..?

Applied: Eng/Pembroke

Interviewers were WEIRD....friendly-ish...but i had SO MANY TECHNICAL ques...AND i got a chem ques..and I DNT DO CHEM! dropped it at IGCSE..ohhh :frown: lol

Lovely college...nice people, nice food, nice grounds
stayed in the new block
TSA was aite excpt VERY long...didnt finish :frown:

before interview: not too stressed, a bit nervous..excited about 'opportunity' - seriously didn't think i was getting in

after interview: GOSH! 150% NOT getting in..felt extremely stupid, and felt i blew the opportunity...and was pretty pissed off :frown:
but now..thinking back...just imagining what the interviewers must be thinking...HILARIOUS! at least im TRYIN not to over stress...coz i guess i know the outcome :s-smilie:
anyways, was more relaxed coz i got a conditional from my 2nd FAV uni a week before interview...:biggrin: :biggrin:

was anyone else at Pembroke on thus 6th Dec?
I was there on the 5th
I enjoyed my interviews, although I butted in several times in my first interview which was probably over-zealous. I got really stuck in my second interview and the prompting didn't help because it didn't follow my line of thinking. I got there eventually and one of the interviwer was like "it took longer than I thought and it is the simplest answer I've seen" - which means???

The TSA was a torture, didn't finish it (I don't think you are suppose to finish) and I'd prefer doing it on paper. I think I might've flunked it but really don't know, so hopefully it isn't very important.

Since the interview I've been reading into what my interviewer said way too much and my parents are convinced I'll get in and they are spreading the word. I am like SHUT UP!

Anyway fingers crossed on the 3rd.

Latest

Trending

Trending