The Student Room Group

4 or 3 As? Help please!!

Hi, Thanks for considering me.
So here is my situation:
I just started my As course at a new sixth form and I also have a part time job (sat and sun) which may be an obstacle for me.I still have time to decide weather to do 3 subjects for my AS or 4 instead. I chose to do business, maths, further maths and physics and I was considering to drop business.
What shall I do:
Do 3 subjects or 4?
Carry on with the flipping weekend job or quit it.

Please help, I'm so confuused.
Thank you. :'(
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
That's entirely up to you, but generally, people drop to 3 at A2 (2nd year) if they do 4 at AS. Just make sure you enjoy all of your subjects.
Maybe take 4 and drop one later on if you begin to realise you hate one?

Also, I don't recommend having a job during sixth form, particularly after January. I've had lots of friends get low grades at AS and improve loads at A2, possibly because having a job dropped their motivation to revise.
Hey,

Personally, I'm in favour of doing 4 AS levels because imo it gives you breathing room if you don't do so well in a subject you thought you'd be ok at. E.g. my friend who was fab at maths at GCSE took it at A Level but honestly hated it and really struggled, but because she'd taken 4 AS Levels she was allowed to drop maths and continue with 3. If she'd chosen 3 to begin with, she would have chosen maths and thus have to had soldiered on OR spend another year at school studying something different.

If it's the school + job load you're worried about, that's obviously something you'll have to judge yourself. Personally I know a lot of people who had weekend jobs and did 4 AS levels throughout the year and were fine with that (and got good grades!), and if it's just the weekend then that's not as bad as it could be! You do also have the opportunity to keep your job for now, then quit as it gets closer to exams so you can focus on them :biggrin:

At the end of the day, it's down to you and what you think you can manage. Personally, I didn't get a job (I had a 4 hr a week volunteering thing but that's it) because a) I lived far away from school, so travel cut out a large part of my free time, b) I wasn't fussed about earning money, and c) I procrastinate so bad in the week so weekends were the only time I ever did work :wink:

Think about those three things and then you should be able to judge whether or not you should keep your job :smile:

Good luck with your A Levels!!
4 AS and a two day part time job = so difficult.
Business A Level is soo easy (personally speaking) so would be an easy A if you're somewhat intellectually inclined. I do suggest you drop one - or do 4 for a week or two then drop the one you least like.

I do 3 A Levels with a 4 hour part time job (best contract ever for a student). My friends tend to do 13/14 hours per week and had to cut down either their hours or subjects because it's too much with four subjects, but it does depend on the person.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by fxlloutboyy
4 AS and a two day part time job = so difficult.
Business A Level is soo easy (personally speaking) so would be an easy A if you're somewhat intellectually inclined. I do suggest you drop one - or do 4 for a week or two then drop the one you least like.

I do 3 A Levels with a 4 hour part time job (best contract ever for a student). My friends tend to do 13/14 hours per week and had to cut down either their hours or subjects because it's too much with four subjects, but it does depend on the person.
Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Ruthie2267
Hey,

Personally, I'm in favour of doing 4 AS levels because imo it gives you breathing room if you don't do so well in a subject you thought you'd be ok at. E.g. my friend who was fab at maths at GCSE took it at A Level but honestly hated it and really struggled, but because she'd taken 4 AS Levels she was allowed to drop maths and continue with 3. If she'd chosen 3 to begin with, she would have chosen maths and thus have to had soldiered on OR spend another year at school studying something different.

If it's the school + job load you're worried about, that's obviously something you'll have to judge yourself. Personally I know a lot of people who had weekend jobs and did 4 AS levels throughout the year and were fine with that (and got good grades!), and if it's just the weekend then that's not as bad as it could be! You do also have the opportunity to keep your job for now, then quit as it gets closer to exams so you can focus on them :biggrin:

At the end of the day, it's down to you and what you think you can manage. Personally, I didn't get a job (I had a 4 hr a week volunteering thing but that's it) because a) I lived far away from school, so travel cut out a large part of my free time, b) I wasn't fussed about earning money, and c) I procrastinate so bad in the week so weekends were the only time I ever did work :wink:

Think about those three things and then you should be able to judge whether or not you should keep your job :smile:

Good luck with your A Levels!!

thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by JezDayy
That's entirely up to you, but generally, people drop to 3 at A2 (2nd year) if they do 4 at AS. Just make sure you enjoy all of your subjects.
Maybe take 4 and drop one later on if you begin to realise you hate one?

Also, I don't recommend having a job during sixth form, particularly after January. I've had lots of friends get low grades at AS and improve loads at A2, possibly because having a job dropped their motivation to revise.

thank you, btw I think i will quit with the job
Reply 7
Just be careful in choosing which to drop and check with the Unis you want to go to of they treat further maths as a separate subject.
Drop business probably. I don't really know much about about it but I'm sure you have more than enough maths and further maths homework XD. If you are doing as it may be a good idea to keep it for a year though as if you don't get a good grade in fm you'll probably wanna drop it. Then again I'd bet business has the highest workload or at least the most ******** you have to do XD.
Reply 9
Original post by black1blade
Drop business probably. I don't really know much about about it but I'm sure you have more than enough maths and further maths homework XD. If you are doing as it may be a good idea to keep it for a year though as if you don't get a good grade in fm you'll probably wanna drop it. Then again I'd bet business has the highest workload or at least the most ******** you have to do XD.

my g, thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by M4cc4n4
Just be careful in choosing which to drop and check with the Unis you want to go to of they treat further maths as a separate subject.

cheers :smile:
Original post by M4cc4n4

It also depends on the subject. For maths, engineering, physics or computer science- most unis will be ecstatic for a candidate to have the fm and it isn't a problem as long as they don't do maths a year early (so are sitting 3 a-levels worth of exams in one year).
Original post by j.1.2
Hi, Thanks for considering me.
So here is my situation:
I just started my As course at a new sixth form and I also have a part time job (sat and sun) which may be an obstacle for me.I still have time to decide weather to do 3 subjects for my AS or 4 instead. I chose to do business, maths, further maths and physics and I was considering to drop business.
What shall I do:
Do 3 subjects or 4?
Carry on with the flipping weekend job or quit it.

Please help, I'm so confuused.
Thank you. :'(

as someone doing 5 AS's, i'd recommend 4.
Reply 13
Original post by brownguytorule
as someone doing 5 AS's, i'd recommend 4.

cheers
Original post by j.1.2
cheers

plus you're doing maths AND further maths, and some unis don't look at them as separate subjects, so it'd be better off doing business.

Quick Reply

Latest