The Student Room Group

How competitive is Architecture?

I've heard the demand for architects in the U.K. is increasingly declining and wondered how competive of a degree that makes it amongst the top universities?

I've been sourcing a few career options and deciding what I want to do with my life/what degree I'd want to do and this is what I'm sort of settled on now... still doing my research but wanted to get some opinions

There's a lot of talk about architecture being the most demanding career compared to other respected professions e.g. engineers/lawyers/doctors etc. (but yet, the least talked about). How true is this?:afraid:
(edited 6 years ago)
My advise would be to choose another career if you are capable.
Original post by Farchitect
My advise would be to choose another career if you are capable.

I'm still deciding between architecture/engineering and keep interchanging between the two.

Why do you advise so strongly against architecture??
Original post by AOA_
I'm still deciding between architecture/engineering and keep interchanging between the two.

Why do you advise so strongly against architecture??

Long hours, underpaid, not as rewarding as you'd probably think, and most architecture firms are terrible employers. Whilst you're still studying in university, all of your friends who made better life decisions will be earning, and by the time you actually qualify they'll be earning a lot more.

The only way to really have a rewarding career in architecture is to start your own practice, but the only way to really make that a success is to be from a rich background. You won't be able to name me a single famous architect who isn't from a rich background, or who is married to a rich person.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Farchitect
Long hours, underpaid, not as rewarding as you'd probably think, and most architecture firms are terrible employers. Whilst you're still studying in university, all of your friends who made better life decisions will be earning, and by the time you actually qualify they'll be earning a lot more.

The only way to really have a rewarding career in architecture is to start your own practice, but the only way to really make that a success is to be from a rich background. You won't be able to name me a single famous architect who isn't from a rich background, or who is married to a rich woman.

Wow.

I guess engineering it is then

Thank you for the advice and I wish you well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending