The Student Room Group

Transfering to a different uni in year 2

Hello, I got into my insurance this year after some disappointing results, and am thinking of trying to apply to a different university for my second year as a transfer, how applicable do you guys think this is? I know that architecture is highly competitive, I'm just hoping good grades in the first year will make me seem appealing to unis.
Generally to transfer universities without repeating/restarting you would need to have good first year results AND meet the standard entry requirements for the new course.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Generally to transfer universities without repeating/restarting you would need to have good first year results AND meet the standard entry requirements for the new course.

Hm I was looking at Newcastle, and their website doesn't say anything about A level results specifically, so I was planning on attempting to apply there, do u think its possible?
Original post by Deltapasta
Hm I was looking at Newcastle, and their website doesn't say anything about A level results specifically, so I was planning on attempting to apply there, do u think its possible?

Newcastle Uni usually requires AAA at A level. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

What is your insurance choice? Also, remember that you are able to apply to a different uni for your MArch.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
Newcastle Uni usually requires AAA at A level. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

What is your insurance choice? Also, remember that you are able to apply to a different uni for your MArch.

Northumbria, also yeah I have thought about that too, I thought if I got a grade in the first year they may consider me, but I guess I'd have to contact them first
If you’re not happy with your insurance then there’s quite a good choice of universities in clearing for Architecture.
Reply 6
Hm I think I've missed my chance already this year for most of the unis I'd be interested in, I'd rather not take a gap year though, would it be possible to try clearing next year even if I'm at uni and try transfer through that
Hm I think I've missed my chance already this year for most of the unis I'd be interested in, I'd rather not take a gap year though, would it be possible to try clearing next year even if I'm at uni and try transfer through that

Clearing is for year 1 entry.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Clearing is for year 1 entry.

I don't really mind repeating a year if I have to
I don't really mind repeating a year if I have to

If you’d be looking to start yr 1 in 2024 then you really would be better off resitting A levels (or taking alternative qualifications) in a gap year instead of starting a degree.

Something like 10-15% of architecture students have to repeat a year due to academic failure - wasting your gift year of funding (when you are starting a course that needs funding for 5 years) is a very unwise decision.

If you're looking for a good uni in the North, Lancaster is still in clearing for architecture asking for BBB.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
If you’d be looking to start yr 1 in 2024 then you really would be better off resitting A levels (or taking alternative qualifications) in a gap year instead of starting a degree.

Something like 10-15% of architecture students have to repeat a year due to academic failure - wasting your gift year of funding (when you are starting a course that needs funding for 5 years) is a very unwise decision.

Hm I see, I'll have a good think then thanks for ur help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending