The Student Room Group

are my uni choices too ambitious?

I am thinking of applying to Oxford, UCL, Warwick, St Andrews and Sussex for history. I got 11A*3As at GCSE, AABB at AS for History, English, Maths and Economics and predicted A*AA or A*A*A (not sure yet the school hasn't told us). I'd say my personal statement is pretty good and my references will be good. Can anyone give me an honest opinion or some advice? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _HS
I am thinking of applying to Oxford, UCL, Warwick, St Andrews and Sussex for history. I got 11A*3As at GCSE, AABB at AS for History, English, Maths and Economics and predicted A*AA or A*A*A (not sure yet the school hasn't told us). I'd say my personal statement is pretty good and my references will be good. Can anyone give me an honest opinion or some advice? Thanks

Oxford is AAA,UCL is A*AA, Warwick is AAA, St andrews is AAA and sussex is AAB so personally I would consider swapping one of your AAA choices to something lower so you have a safer insurance choice if you were to drop to a B in one of your subjects.
Reply 2
Sussex is my insurance choice, and i don't mind going on clearing. But yeahh thanks for the reply :smile:
Original post by _HS
Sussex is my insurance choice, and i don't mind going on clearing. But yeahh thanks for the reply :smile:

If you're happy to go into clearing if you miss your insurance then go for it with your choices :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Oxford is AAA,UCL is A*AA, Warwick is AAA, St andrews is AAA and sussex is AAB so personally I would consider swapping one of your AAA choices to something lower so you have a safer insurance choice if you were to drop to a B in one of your subjects.

Also my main concern is getting the offers not actually achieving the grades so do you think I will be able to receive offers from any of them? Obviously I know oxford is different but what about the other 4?
Original post by _HS
Also my main concern is getting the offers not actually achieving the grades so do you think I will be able to receive offers from any of them? Obviously I know oxford is different but what about the other 4?

I certainly think it would be possible.
Original post by _HS

I would bet my house on you receiving at least 3 offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
I would bet my house on you receiving at least 3 offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

really, why do you say that? because there'll be people applying who will have better AS and predicted grades than me
Sussex is a sensible Insurance choice and, if you are predicted A*AA or above, the range of other choices seem totally fine to me.

Good luck!
You'll probably get all your offers because universities are grabbing for new students now that fees have increased again.
I think it depends entirely on your contextual factor (what school you go to + any mitigating circumstances).

As you say, Oxford will come down to your HAT and interview (which, if you do well in your HAT, you should get).
If you got A grades in History and in English AS, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get in no matter what school you're applying from - however if you're applying from a top school, especially a top private school (without mitigating circumstances) Oxford is possibly a stretch. The others are probably fine.
If you didn't get an A in History, this probably makes Oxford a real stretch and UCL/St. Andrews a stretch and could make Warwick quite difficult too. I think Sussex should be fine with that... but I doubt you got a B at History AS.
If you got a B in English Lit, it'll probably make Oxford a push (especially from a top school), but I think the others are all realistic even with a B in English Lit (even from a top school).
If you didn't get an A in either History or English Lit, I think you should possibly think about another insurance option.

As I say it really depends on your background. However, I think that no matter what, those options are fine - I think you'll definitely get an offer from one or two even in the worst case scenario.

Hope that helps.
Reply 11
Original post by Martins1
I think it depends entirely on your contextual factor (what school you go to + any mitigating circumstances).

As you say, Oxford will come down to your HAT and interview (which, if you do well in your HAT, you should get).
If you got A grades in History and in English AS, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get in no matter what school you're applying from - however if you're applying from a top school, especially a top private school (without mitigating circumstances) Oxford is possibly a stretch. The others are probably fine.
If you didn't get an A in History, this probably makes Oxford a real stretch and UCL/St. Andrews a stretch and could make Warwick quite difficult too. I think Sussex should be fine with that... but I doubt you got a B at History AS.
If you got a B in English Lit, it'll probably make Oxford a push (especially from a top school), but I think the others are all realistic even with a B in English Lit (even from a top school).
If you didn't get an A in either History or English Lit, I think you should possibly think about another insurance option.

As I say it really depends on your background. However, I think that no matter what, those options are fine - I think you'll definitely get an offer from one or two even in the worst case scenario.

Hope that helps.

Original post by Martins1

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply! I did get As in english lit and History and Bs in maths and economics and I have dropped maths. My school is just a local comprehensive it's not a super elite private school but I'd say we're definitely better than the average state school. I know that a rejection from oxford will be very likely because so many smart people apply which is fine with me, I just want to give it a shot. I'm just worried about not getting offers from UCL Warwick and St Andrews...
Original post by _HS
Thanks for the reply! I did get As in english lit and History and Bs in maths and economics and I have dropped maths. My school is just a local comprehensive it's not a super elite private school but I'd say we're definitely better than the average state school. I know that a rejection from oxford will be very likely because so many smart people apply which is fine with me, I just want to give it a shot. I'm just worried about not getting offers from UCL Warwick and St Andrews...

In which case I think that you have a good chance at getting offers from those uni's!
Do you just hate people who made threads like these when they have 11 A* and ask stupid questions like am i good enough?
I think it's just for attention
Reply 14
Original post by returnmigrant
Sussex is a sensible Insurance choice and, if you are predicted A*AA or above, the range of other choices seem totally fine to me.

Good luck!

thank you very much! Sussex looks really nice and its a bit lower so yeahh its a good insurance for me
Reply 15
Original post by sexbox 360
Do you just hate people who made threads like these when they have 11 A* and ask stupid questions like am i good enough?
I think it's just for attention

Universities don't even care about GCSEs that much they only want a C in english and maths, my AS are not the best they can be and I want to apply to the most competitive unis in the country so of course I'm worried about not getting offers. So please remove yourself from this thread thanks :smile:
Original post by _HS

Were your AS levels external exams? Obviously Maths was but the others?

Your predictions look a bit high for those AS results if they are all linear.
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
Were your AS levels external exams? Obviously Maths was but the others?

Your predictions look a bit high for those AS results if they are all linear.

Yeahh they are external exams, by linear do you mean if they counted or not? because they didnt
Reply 18
Original post by sexbox 360
Your studying history
Remove yourself from the world

thanks maybe later
Original post by _HS
Yeahh they are external exams, by linear do you mean if they counted or not? because they didnt

OK so those exams covered only 40% of the course - your predictions look too high.

You need to include one ABB course, you have too many high grade choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending