The Student Room Group

Disagree with teacher on personal statement

I'm going to be applying for medicine this year. My personal statement is pretty solid at the minute but my form tutor says I have to include all my subjects. My statement is pretty academic without talking about my a levels . Still, I've referred to biology and art and I feel that shoe horning maths and Chem won't add anything original or memorable. Should I add them anyways or should I heed my own advice? Thanks.
Lol, no. Talking about your A level subjects is a complete waste of space. If I were you I'd scrape the bits on biology and art too. In my opinion you should focus on talking about and reflecting on
1. Work experience
2. The reasons why you want to be a doctor
3. Your extracurricular activities and how the skills you've gained from those will help you
4. Any extra reading you have done.

Good luck!
Original post by StationToStation
Lol, no. Talking about your A level subjects is a complete waste of space. If I were you I'd scrape the bits on biology and art too. In my opinion you should focus on talking about and reflecting on
1. Work experience
2. The reasons why you want to be a doctor
3. Your extracurricular activities and how the skills you've gained from those will help you
4. Any extra reading you have done.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I only included art in my extra curricular paragraph and the bio sentence is a tiny reference although I may scrap that now. Thanks for the reassuring comments!
chem and bio might be slightly relevant but only if you have space, if you can relate it back to medicine then include it otherwise focus on proving your suitability to the course
I applied for civil engineering and when I mentioned my subjects it was in my academic and extracurricular skills section and about how they made me more interested in the course (if they did). Though I will say I did mention all my subjects because they did contribute to those aspects.

Original post by Ali Bomaye!
I'm going to be applying for medicine this year. My personal statement is pretty solid at the minute but my form tutor says I have to include all my subjects. My statement is pretty academic without talking about my a levels . Still, I've referred to biology and art and I feel that shoe horning maths and Chem won't add anything original or memorable. Should I add them anyways or should I heed my own advice? Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending