The Student Room Group

A Level English Literature NEA

Hi, I am currently starting my first draft of my NEA comparative essay (play and a book) and was wondering if any past students have advice on how to structure and what to include in the intro etc?
Original post by 177445
Hi, I am currently starting my first draft of my NEA comparative essay (play and a book) and was wondering if any past students have advice on how to structure and what to include in the intro etc?

Hi! I've just finished year 13 and got full marks on my english coursework (well the exam board might disagree lmao). I read a lot of my friends' work and tbh most people had slightly different structures. For the intro, I'd say; use the title of the books and the authors; mention genre (are both plays tragedies/gothic etc); introduce your thesis (what are you going to be arguing in this essay); maybe bring in something about context. Personally, I did 8 paras. Intro, 6 main bulk paras, then conclusion. I did a topic sentence and wrote about the first text in one para then opened the next para with a comparative statement and spoke about the second text but obviously full of comparisons. (This may be confusing lol I think I explain it funny). So I had three sort of main comparative points which I split into 6 paras. For my para structures, id open with the statement and then like any other essay, bring in evidence from the text, analyse, explain how this influences meaning/interpretation. Bring in context - how it influences these texts and (i imagine your NEA requires this too?) critics. You don't need critics in every para I dont think but I think 3 or 4 is the minimum. There's a lot to fit in. My teacher gave me a planning sheet which helped make planning what would go in each para easier. Obviously this is just how I did it. Depending on your texts and the argument of your essay, it may suit you to write it differently. I know some people who preferred lots of smaller paragraphs as their structure. The first draft is just a rough attempt and so once you know what you want to say, you may find that the structure finds itself! Hope any of this helps
Reply 2
Original post by 177445

Hey, just wondering what book/play are you comparing your set text to, I’m in year 12 and currently writing up mine lol.
Reply 3
Original post by misseuropa
Hi! I've just finished year 13 and got full marks on my english coursework (well the exam board might disagree lmao). I read a lot of my friends' work and tbh most people had slightly different structures. For the intro, I'd say; use the title of the books and the authors; mention genre (are both plays tragedies/gothic etc); introduce your thesis (what are you going to be arguing in this essay); maybe bring in something about context. Personally, I did 8 paras. Intro, 6 main bulk paras, then conclusion. I did a topic sentence and wrote about the first text in one para then opened the next para with a comparative statement and spoke about the second text but obviously full of comparisons. (This may be confusing lol I think I explain it funny). So I had three sort of main comparative points which I split into 6 paras. For my para structures, id open with the statement and then like any other essay, bring in evidence from the text, analyse, explain how this influences meaning/interpretation. Bring in context - how it influences these texts and (i imagine your NEA requires this too?) critics. You don't need critics in every para I dont think but I think 3 or 4 is the minimum. There's a lot to fit in. My teacher gave me a planning sheet which helped make planning what would go in each para easier. Obviously this is just how I did it. Depending on your texts and the argument of your essay, it may suit you to write it differently. I know some people who preferred lots of smaller paragraphs as their structure. The first draft is just a rough attempt and so once you know what you want to say, you may find that the structure finds itself! Hope any of this helps

Hi thanks for the advice- I am also struggling to fins critics that aren't on quizlet to include and footnote... any advice (I have been using google scholar but most of the texts are dead ends and take ages to go through to find a quote?
Original post by 177445
Hi thanks for the advice- I am also struggling to fins critics that aren't on quizlet to include and footnote... any advice (I have been using google scholar but most of the texts are dead ends and take ages to go through to find a quote?

Hi! I'd really recommend Jstor. You can make your own account although I think sometimes colleges can be affiliated. Has LOADS of articles and you get like 100 free a month or smthn. Really helped me with my cw - some of my best critics were from there. Also, I don't know if your college gives you access to EMagazine - they have a lot of articles. Not sure if you can just sign up yourself. Google scholar can be really hard to use. I'd also ask and see if your teachers know of places to find them - could be something if you have a library but that's maybe unlikely. There may be some other resources - my teacher had mags full of criticism for different texts. Finding critics can be hard so don't worry - sometimes it takes going down rabbit holes etc. One of my critics was on EMag but I realised it wasn't as professional as I thought but my teacher assured me that as long as the critic does look and sound legit - from a reputable site. If you find a name on quizlet, maybe try track down the text online somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest