The Student Room Group

Kazuo Ishiguro has won the Nobel Prize 2017 for Literature

Kazuo Ishiguro, British author and UEA MA Creative Writing alumnus, won the Nobel Prize 2017 for Literature today.

It was a tough competition with writers like Margaret Atwood and Haruki Murakami on the shortlist!

What are your thoughts on the award? Are you a fan of Kazuo Ishiguro? If so, what is your favourite book from Ishiguro?
Till this award, I don't know his name, but I have keep an eye on him and his writings now. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by University of East Anglia
Kazuo Ishiguro, British author and UEA MA Creative Writing alumnus, won the Nobel Prize 2017 for Literature today.

It was a tough competition with writers like Margaret Atwood and Haruki Murakami on the shortlist!

What are your thoughts on the award? Are you a fan of Kazuo Ishiguro? If so, what is your favourite book from Ishiguro?

I remember being given a book of his by the school of BIO on the first day as a fresher :h:
Reply 3
Remains of the Day was indeed a wonderful book, delivering a great narrative through a narrator who was only partly aware of the situation.

I would have thought it un-translateable to film, but the film with Hopkins and Thompson turned out to be very good also, capturing a lot of the book's virtues.

No idea what else he's done-- probably worth a look, if people are saying he's not a one-trick pony.
Original post by lilGem
I remember being given a book of his by the school of BIO on the first day as a fresher :h:

Oh wow, what a great gift! Do you remember which book it was?
@Camilli I've yet to watch the film of The Remains of the Day - does it live up to the book? Is there anything missing in the script that you wish they had kept in?

Laura, Official UEA Rep.
Reply 6
It was very effective as a film, and it caught much of the distance between the full range of facts and the narrator's point of view very well. A first-rate effort all around.

I couldn't say if there were particular scenes that should have been more or less like the book, as I had read it too far before to have a strong memory of it.
Reply 7
Original post by University of East Anglia
Oh wow, what a great gift! Do you remember which book it was?

Never let me go :smile:
I love, love, love 'An Artist of the Floating World'; I think 'Never Let Me Go' was the first book of his that I read though, all the way back in year 7 loool - I don't remember much of it.
I've read The Remains of the Day, Never Let Me Go and something about a murder in Japan whose title I've forgotten. :s-smilie: I prefer Murakami, to be honest, and none of Ishiguro's novels really spoke to me that much, so I probably would have chosen differently had I been responsible, but I know he has been tremendously successful. To each their own :h:
What was he awarded for in his literature? Curious as to what this award is given for.
Original post by Vikingninja
What was he awarded for in his literature? Curious as to what this award is given for.

You want to know the reason? just to quote the commitee.

"who, in novels of great emotional force, has uncovered the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world"

That is a very interesting reason to give him the price, it makes me so curious.
Original post by Sonechka
I've read The Remains of the Day, Never Let Me Go and something about a murder in Japan whose title I've forgotten. :s-smilie: I prefer Murakami, to be honest, and none of Ishiguro's novels really spoke to me that much, so I probably would have chosen differently had I been responsible, but I know he has been tremendously successful. To each their own :h:

Yeah I really enjoyed 1q84 which I spotted in Oxfam while I was working there. Haven't read any Ishiguro novels but the story of him being very sceptical of the announcement was amusing.
Never Let Me Go was one of two books to make me cry. Immense book, and it's definitely paved the way for me to read more of Ishiguro, particularly if they're of the same quality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending