The Student Room Group

How many A levels do you have to take?

I'm in high school and I passed Japanese A level a year ago and im taking maths and music a level privately next year. If i pass i will already have 3 a levels.
Would I need to go to college/sixth form? in addition can i just choose to take only 1 subject?
because my dad is saying it's compulsory to attend school before 18 and I can accept that but I don't want to do 3 more. I did my A levels early so that I can focus on my music production before going to uni.
Here are my questions summarised;
1. Do you have to go to college/sixth form after passing 3 A levels?
2 Can you pick only 1 subject in sixth form?
Original post by Sizzo1128
I'm in high school and I passed Japanese A level a year ago and im taking maths and music a level privately next year. If i pass i will already have 3 a levels.
Would I need to go to college/sixth form? in addition can i just choose to take only 1 subject?
because my dad is saying it's compulsory to attend school before 18 and I can accept that but I don't want to do 3 more. I did my A levels early so that I can focus on my music production before going to uni.
Here are my questions summarised;
1. Do you have to go to college/sixth form after passing 3 A levels?
2 Can you pick only 1 subject in sixth form?

You need to be in education until 18. That can be apprenticeship college or 6th form. I'm not sure but I imagine almost all 6th forms will make students take 3
Reply 2
You basically have to stay within the schooling system till youre 18. If you're wanting to do just one subject then look at a course as they are on subject for 1/2/3 years depending on your entry level. Most colleges say 3 A Levels is how many you have to pick and do them for 2 years. If youre a higher achiever you can opt to do 4 but it will be a large amount of work over the 2 years. You can also do apprenticeships in your desired industry but most colleges say that you yourself will have to find it, you may get some input from school. A Levels require averagely B's or C's in your desired subjects along with anything above a C(4/5) in Maths and English. If you don't get this you probably will have to resit. (The grades may differ depending which college)
Hope this helps in some way,
Sincerely, A Current UK A Level Student
Reply 3
By law, you have to stay in education until you are 18. It's unlikely that a college/6th form would facilitate you doing one A Level, but you can ask. You only really have to do 3 to get into university.

You may be able to do a different qualification in music production in the mean time. (It's also not unheard of for people to go to university before they turn 18)
You do have to stay in education until 18, so if you decide to do sixth form/college then you will have to take more. It is very unlikely that they'll let you take only one A-Level though, as you have to be in lessons for a certain number of hours per week for the school to get funding in order to teach you, and that number of hours is usually the same as 3 A-Levels worth of lessons. If the school doesn't get funding, they probably won't let you study there.

Quick Reply

Latest