Personal statement for single and joint honours degrees Watch

Bluecat1r
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm planning on applying to 3 natural sciences degrees in the field of biology and psychology, one single honors degree in psychology and one joint honors degree in cognitive neuroscience and psychology. The topics of biology, psychology and neuroscience all link but I'm having difficulty figuring out how much of my personal statement should be dedicated to each topic. Does anyone have any experience in applying to a variety of degrees, how did you structure your personal statement??
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don't need to write about them separately - you can easily write about e.g. cellular and molecular neurobiology, systems neuroscience, and neuropsychology, using any relevant background you have, and is applicable to all of those courses. Cellular and molecular neurobiology necessarily is a biological science and to engage in at a higher level (i.e. research) requires some background in cellular and molecular biology. The others broadly correlate to the individual subject areas as well, while being centrally tied to the theme of brain and cognitive sciences.

Don't approach the PS as a tickbox exercise - write about what you are interested in, and either this will necessarily reveal its relation to the courses being applied to, or perhaps suggest that some of those are not areas of particular interest and to tweak your options slightly. For example, if you struggle to find interesting things to write of "basic science" biological aspects then it may be prudent to replace the natural sciences courses with neuroscience or psychology courses that are more aligned to your interests (and vice versa with the various other elements).
Bluecat1r
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You don't need to write about them separately - you can easily write about e.g. cellular and molecular neurobiology, systems neuroscience, and neuropsychology, using any relevant background you have, and is applicable to all of those courses. Cellular and molecular neurobiology necessarily is a biological science and to engage in at a higher level (i.e. research) requires some background in cellular and molecular biology. The others broadly correlate to the individual subject areas as well, while being centrally tied to the theme of brain and cognitive sciences.

Don't approach the PS as a tickbox exercise - write about what you are interested in, and either this will necessarily reveal its relation to the courses being applied to, or perhaps suggest that some of those are not areas of particular interest and to tweak your options slightly. For example, if you struggle to find interesting things to write of "basic science" biological aspects then it may be prudent to replace the natural sciences courses with neuroscience or psychology courses that are more aligned to your interests (and vice versa with the various other elements).
Ah, very good point, your ideas make a lo more sense! Thanks so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed