The Student Room Group

MathsWatch marking answers as wrong when they are clearly correct

For my MathsWatch homework assignment, MathsWatch has marked some of my answers, mainly proof questions, as incorrect when they are correct.
My homework average is currently 99% and I can't get it to 100% until the other questions are correct. Is there a different way I need to write my answers/proofs on MathsWatch? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please help
F12(Inspect element) and fiddle with the console, ie check if there is any errors. I can't really help you here because I don't use it :frown:.
Reply 3
Original post by Reversed Flash
F12(Inspect element) and fiddle with the console, ie check if there is any errors. I can't really help you here because I don't use it :frown:.

Ok, thanks.
Automated systems such as that tend to be much more sensitive to nomenclature differences and potential typos than hand marked work. Even just including or omitting a space somewhere can lead to it marking something as incorrect. This doesn't actually have any bearing on your ability to do maths, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If there is a question you are getting marked incorrect but you're certain is correct, you can always ask on here, showing your working, if it is correct. This will ensure you are able to do the work you need to without worrying about computer errors.
99% is very good :dontknow:
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Automated systems such as that tend to be much more sensitive to nomenclature differences and potential typos than hand marked work. Even just including or omitting a space somewhere can lead to it marking something as incorrect. This doesn't actually have any bearing on your ability to do maths, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If there is a question you are getting marked incorrect but you're certain is correct, you can always ask on here, showing your working, if it is correct. This will ensure you are able to do the work you need to without worrying about computer errors.

Thanks, I will post the questions on here. The homework does not get sent to my teacher until it is 100% though.
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
99% is very good :dontknow:

Thanks. I don't really care about the percentage but it needs to be 100% complete before it gets automatically sent to my teacher though.
Reply 8
Please let me know if I have made any silly mistakes or typos, thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Loci Pi

I will post the rest of the working

That all looks fine. You haven't shown that b2=49b=±7b^2=49 \Rightarrow b = \pm 7 (and then discount the negative solution) but that won't be necessary on Mathswatch.

Also, please post maths questions in the maths forum in future :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Loci Pi

I will post the rest of the working

I wonder if it is looking for brackets in the - 2accos B bit?

-(2 x etc)
Wow, your homework is out of 538? Your teachers must love you :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by Notnek
That all looks fine. You haven't shown that b2=49b=±7b^2=49 \Rightarrow b = \pm 7 (and then discount the negative solution) but that won't be necessary on Mathswatch.

Also, please post maths questions in the maths forum in future :smile:

I just tried it but it still won't work! Thanks for trying though :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by carlafossil320
Wow, your homework is out of 538? Your teachers must love you :rolleyes:

It was practise for the mock exam we have tomorrow. That was only for the grade 7 questions. We have one set of questions we have to complete for each grade in higher tier so out of about 3216 lol :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by Loci Pi
Thank you! It worked :smile:

Just in case you're not aware, your working was perfectly fine and Mathswatch should have accepted it. I'm glad you managed to sort it.
Reply 15
Original post by Notnek
Just in case you're not aware, your working was perfectly fine and Mathswatch should have accepted it. I'm glad you managed to sort it.

let the consecitive odd no.s be 2n+1 and 2n+3
(2n+1)^2= 4n^2+4n+1
(2n+3)^2= 4n^2+12n+9
(2n+3)^2 - (2n+1)^2
=8n + 8
Factorises to 8(n+1)
any number multiplied by 8 is a multiple of 8
Reply 17
Original post by carlafossil320
let the consecitive odd no.s be 2n+1 and 2n+3
(2n+1)^2= 4n^2+4n+1
(2n+3)^2= 4n^2+12n+9
(2n+3)^2 - (2n+1)^2
=8n + 8
Factorises to 8(n+1)
any number multiplied by 8 is a multiple of 8

I will have a go and report back in 5 minutes. Thanks!
ok
(edited 6 years ago)
no problem 😊

Latest