The Student Room Group

Apply to KCL/UCL/Cambridge with these GCSE'S?

ll
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sergioo
Hi guys,
I just wanted everyone's honest opinion on whether I have a good chance of getting an offer from Cambridge/UCL since I lack A*'s.
In GCSE I was in an inexperienced and underachieving school in which my grades were top 9%. I got;
Maths A
English Lit A
English Lang A
Double science AA
Business A
PE A
History A
In A2 I believe/highly confident I will be predicted A*A*A. Say I achieve that and my PS etc are all good, will I honestly stand a good chance of getting an offer from Cambridge/UCL or kings to do law?
Thanks guys.

If you want an honest answer, then I don't think that you would be a competitive applicant at all. Unless you're doing AS, and you're planning to get full raw marks and 9.0 on the admissions assessment (and 10/10 on interview), probably not much you can do. That said, GCSEs are contextualised to your school, but even then I don't know if it's that promising.

The above is for Cambridge. Not sure about the other two unis.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RedGiant
If you want an honest answer, then I don't think that you would be a competitive applicant at all. Unless you're doing AS, and you're planning to get full raw marks and 9.0 on the admissions assessment (and 10/10 on interview), probably not much you can do. That said, GCSEs are contextualised to your school, but even then I don't know if it's that promising.

The above is for Cambridge. Not sure about the other two unis.

I think that if it's something your really want to do then go for it but I would suggest that you apply post a level results
If you get 3 A*S at a level you would be automatically pooled when applying to cambridge. What subject would you want to apply for?
I actually completely disagree with the poster above. You won't be a 'strong' applicant but you could still compete. There was a user on TSR last year who got roughly AAABBBBCD in his GCSE's but they were top 10% in his school. He then achieved AAAB, had good interviews, did well in the admissions test and now studies law at Cambridge. Cambridge specifically puts less emphasis on GCSE's than most universities. I think you'll be fine, just work hard!

Quick Reply

Latest