The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi,

Any A levels will be best for law! Law is a subject of skill and any A level you do will be helpful for you to do Law as you will gain skills which you will apply to law.

The ones that would be useful are law, politics, English, sociology. This is because these all tie in with law and they give you the skills you need in law. For example English help you write your essays whereas Sociology helps you why criminals behave in a way it enhances your problem solving skills.

I hope that helps :smile: If you need any more help please let us know.

Never used sociological theory at any stage in my legal education. Politics and sociology are pretty much irrelevant and a distraction from the important stuff.
hi im just asking what unis hve u or r u going to apply to, im in yr 12 and am doing same as u basically but just not psychology im doing business
Original post by Haider_A
I'm taking English Literature, Psychology and Geography for Law. It doesn't matter what you take, but universities prefer at least one essay-based subject.
Reply 22
Original post by milkyone
hi im just asking what unis hve u or r u going to apply to, im in yr 12 and am doing same as u basically but just not psychology im doing business

Hi, so I'm currently doing a 6 year solicitor apprenticeship programme which combines university and working within a law firm; you qualify as a solicitor at the end of it

Your combination of English Lit, Geography and Business is also fine. What unis are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 24
There aren’t any set subjects for law, but it’s useful to have one or even two essay-based subjects. The most respected of these are English literature or history. But even then, you could apply for law with maths, biology and chemistry if you wanted to. It’s all about achieving those top à level grades, and super curricular law events you’ve been to, or things that you’ve done.
Original post by harrysbar
Your combination of English Lit, Geography and Business is also fine. What unis are you thinking of applying to?

Im in yr 12, I’m deciding to apply from this list;
Ocbridge, LSE, Durham, UCL
Im in yr 12, I’m deciding to apply from this list;
Ocbridge, LSE, Durham, UCL

LSE are very fussy and do have Business on their "non preferred" subjects list, but even they are happy to accept one non preferred subject along with two subjects they consider more academic, such as English Lit & Geography. They list their preferences under "subject combinations".

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information
What a levels did you do?

Latest

Trending

Trending