The Student Room Group

In general, is it possible to change your degree course halfway through first year...

..... but not have to drop out and start again, so you'll still have been at University for three years upon attaining your degree?

To provide a case in point, I want to change from English Language to History at Leeds University, but don't want to have to do a year again and start over. I've heard some institutions allow you to switch halfway through and transfer your credits from semester one from the previous course.
speaking purely about Keele I think you could change course up to 4 weeks when you started uni and that was it, im not sure if this is the same for all uni's though perhaps you should ask admissions or a relevant dept.
Ask Leeds.
Reply 3
I know you could switch from English Language to Classics/Ancient History as some of the stuff you would've done ties in with Latin and ancient language.

If I accept my place at Exeter to do archaeology, I intend to swap over to Classics/Ancient History asap.
Reply 4
I'm at Leeds, also thinking about transferring course. I want to go from design to sociology, but I don't think they'd transfer the credits. I'd probably have to start all over again
Reply 5
eDDeboo
I know you could switch from English Language to Classics/Ancient History as some of the stuff you would've done ties in with Latin and ancient language.

If I accept my place at Exeter to do archaeology, I intend to swap over to Classics/Ancient History asap.

You might want to check you can do that before you accept a place to do a course you don't want to do. If there's no room for you to swap, what will you do then?
My friend just switched from Medicine to French and Spanish (ab initio) at Sussex, so I guess it's possible, but you should go talk to admissions people NOW.
Reply 7
I don't think it's probable. Halfway through the first term would be more likely. Ask those who know, though.
Reply 8
maybe be easier at the end of year 1, starting the second year in your course - but only your uni can tell you what's possible - go have a chat with someone.
Well, instead of deviating all the way to history, I've decided not to stray too far from English Language, and I'm gonna do English Language & Literature at Leeds, and just transfer ASAP... which should be ok, as I've had email correspondence with some of my lecturers and they think it's possible. Looks plenty more interesting than what I'm on now anyway............

Latest

Trending

Trending