The Student Room Group

Rejected from Cambridge Trinity College (Computer Science with Maths)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blookie
I got AAAAB in my Scottish highers and I got an interview for English. I don’t understand how the hell I got one and you didn’t!!

First of all, congratulations on your interview offer :smile:
Computer Science is pretty competitive at Trinity. A is the highest grade you can get in your Scottish highers I believe, which makes it equivalent to an A* in England, but your highest grade is achievable from 70%, making it harder to attain? More respect for you in that sense.
My referee has contacted Trinity including reference to the AT at Murray Edwards, it's been a few days now so I'm not sure how this is going to turn out.

Thanks for your response anyway.
Original post by YJWei
you sound a lil bit fake to me

I can only take this as a compliment.
Original post by fp1washard
First of all, congratulations on your interview offer :smile:
Computer Science is pretty competitive at Trinity. A is the highest grade you can get in your Scottish highers I believe, which makes it equivalent to an A* in England, but your highest grade is achievable from 70%, making it harder to attain? More respect for you in that sense.
My referee has contacted Trinity including reference to the AT at Murray Edwards, it's been a few days now so I'm not sure how this is going to turn out.

Thanks for your response anyway.

I’m Scottish and our system is so weird.

I’m sure all your other choices will take you, where else have you applied?
Original post by Blookie
I’m Scottish and our system is so weird.

I’m sure all your other choices will take you, where else have you applied?

Imperial (Interview next week)
Bath (Offer received)
Bristol (Offer received)
St Andrews (Pending)
Imperial (Interview next week)
Bath (Offer received)
Bristol (Offer received)
St Andrews (Pending)

St Andrews takes their time. I’ve applied for English there. My best friend is doing your subject at St Andrews and he said he’s having the time of his life.
Original post by Blookie
St Andrews takes their time. I’ve applied for English there. My best friend is doing your subject at St Andrews and he said he’s having the time of his life.

That's nice :smile:

I've applied to Computer Science and Mathematics everywhere else apart from Cambridge since they don't offer it. Instead I applied to do Computer Science with Mathematics.
That's nice :smile:

I've applied to Computer Science and Mathematics everywhere else apart from Cambridge since they don't offer it. Instead I applied to do Computer Science with Mathematics.

Have you done the CSAT already? I thought that only those called for interview are asked to sit it or are you an international applicant!
Original post by The RAR
I am not too sure about Oxbridge but for unis in general they do reject you for being overqualified, at least that's how I see it.

Some universities may do it be cause they assume some people apply to them just as a safety net and probably won’t take their offer anyway if they get offer from other (=more competitive) unis they really want to go.
It does happen but probably not as often as you may be thinking.

Nobody uses Cambridge (or oxford) as their safety net. They know they’re are the top of any applicants’ wish list, at least among their choices of uk unis. Nobody is ‘overqualified’ for them.
If they suspect some of their extremely competitive applicants may be applying to other prestigious universities abroad, like Harvard, etc, too, that’d be more reason for them to want to get them, not to reject them.
Original post by RedGiant
They probably say theres an equal chance of entry which ever college you apply to, in order to keep the numbers of applications fair. My theory is that because most applicants follow this logic, the grandest colleges (like Trinity) get way too many applicants and as a result they cannot physically interview all of them. If they have only 30 places and plan to interview 150 , but get 250 applicants, they've got no choice (although these figures are probably extreme). They then have no choice but to become harsh and use filters in that situation, to select the only the best of the best applicants. People will disagree with me but this applicant (the OP) was clearly a strong one and didn't even get an interview. His GCSEs were 5 A*s, which MIGHT have been used against him if Trinity was very oversubscribed this year.

Also, every college handles applicants differently. People on TSR only have access to a few ATs, which probably have slightly different selective methods. Anyway no evidence to say that you or anyone else applying to Clare will be treated the same way.

There may be only a few ATs at TSR, but one of them has worked for 3 different colleges as AT and is also Deputy Chair of the University‘s Admission Forum, another one has worked for 2 colleges as AT and another one has been involved in admission works at 2 colleges, too.
Also, ATs from all colleges are members of Admission Forum where lots of discussion and exchanges of info happen to ensure colleges process admission on a certain standard, so it’s not like they only know about a college they happen to work for.

But other than this, I tend to agree this might be the case here, though we’re never sure as we only know about OP’s application profile as presented by themselves and we have no idea how the whole cohort of other applicants are like this year.

OP, good luck with a feedback.....and hopefully it’ll find you in a better place. :smile:
Original post by YJWei
you sound a lil bit fake to me

Do you understand how competitive Trinity is? Their selectivity is a huge contributor to their consistency in topping the Tompkins Table year after year.
Original post by PickleRic
Have you done the CSAT already? I thought that only those called for interview are asked to sit it or are you an international applicant!

I haven't done the CSAT since I wasn't called for the interview. (Yes, you do it at the interview).
I'm not an international applicant.
Original post by The RAR
... but for unis in general they do reject you for being overqualified, at least that's how I see it.

No they don't.
I haven't done the CSAT since I wasn't called for the interview. (Yes, you do it at the interview).
I'm not an international applicant.

I find it quite hard to believe that you were not called for an interview as your application is stronger than mine in the extracurricular department and I got called for interview for the same subject. What are your grades like for GCSE and as level?
Reply 193
C1- 98
C2- 100
FP1- 92
M1- 97
S1- 93
S2- 88

Maths - 295/300
Further Maths - 273/300

I also did D1 where I got 83, wasn't feeling well when I did the exam, but oh well. Averaged 95 without D1 and 93 including D1.
Successful applicants who get an offer get an average UMS of 90+

Is that all the modules? Is not that nice to say you got an average of 95 when in fact your average is 93. What else aren't you telling us? (I am not attacking you, just want to clarify a point so people can give you a more accurate response if they can see the whole picture.)
Original post by PigBag
Is that all the modules? Is not that nice to say you got an average of 95 when in fact your average is 93. What else aren't you telling us? (I am not attacking you, just want to clarify a point so people can give you a more accurate response if they can see the whole picture.)

He does mention an average of 93, but I agree it is a bit hidden... An 83 and a 88 may well have caused Trinity to pause ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm also quite surprised you didn't get an interview at least - I understand it's a competitive college but your academic and supercurricular profile looks really good, higher than mine (I got an interview). Hopefully you'll get a reply from soon as you look like a pretty strong candidate overall :smile:
Original post by PigBag

@Doonesbury

I apologise, when I heard the news from Trinity on Sunday, I couldn't really think about the flaws in my application at the time. Now that I'm slightly more relaxed, there may be a few reasons for Trinity to defer my application.

1) My AS grades consist of an 88 and 83 like Doonesbury stated.

2) I did Computing AS (since we had no past papers for A2, I thought it would be a wise decision to take the AS for fun and thought I don't have to talk about the result to any Uni since I could simply drop it)
I got a high B in that.
When I was told I actually had to mention this to Universities, I was pretty angry at myself. I managed to get it remarked and it turned out to go up 6 marks which got me an A. Now Trinity have all this information since they asked for my UMS marks for maths and my B grade was also on that sheet, I sent another sheet which had my new result for Computing. I thought 'if my exam board marked my computing paper properly the first time, Cambridge wouldn't know whether it was a high A or a low A, and they wouldn't care because of two reasons: 1) They didn't ask for linear marks, and 2) I called them up asking them I got a B but a 4 A* prediction, they said they didn't care about my computing AS, they care about the maths UMS)

3) My GCSEs as said earlier (5A*s, 6 As and 3Bs) but the projects that I've undertook recently with regards to Computer Science happen to be degree level group projects (which I wasn't aware of at the time, I was just interested). I thought that this was more prominent than my GCSE results.

That's all I can think of to date. I wasn't trying to hide anything, I have no reason to. I just wasn't thinking critically about my application when I should have and I apologise for it.
I find it quite hard to believe that you were not called for an interview as your application is stronger than mine in the extracurricular department and I got called for interview for the same subject. What are your grades like for GCSE and as level?

Can you briefly redraw your application? I've stated reasons of what I think Trinity may have rejected me in the comments not too long ago. Also, where did you apply to (college-wise)?

GCSE: 5 A*s, 6 As and 3 B

AS:
Maths 295/300
Further Maths 273/300

Average here is 95 (as shown in my totals on my sheet) but these are the top 6 modules out of the 7 that I've done.
Including the 7th module, my average is 93/100.

Successful applicants who get an offer have a UMS average of 90+
Original post by PigBag

Tbf since the D1 module was a 7th module and you only need 6 for maths and further maths I fully expect the school didn't include it in the maths and further maths qualification. OP can probably retake it this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending