The Student Room Group

AS level exam affecting my university application

Hi, I'm a student who's done AS level exams for physics, maths, further maths and computer science. I'm certain that I will be getting an A in maths and further maths, but I'm afraid I didn't do well in computer science in the exam(I think I will get a B..), so I think I hopefully will be receiving A*A*A*A or A*A*AA for my final predicted grade at the start of next academic year. Would it be still possible to get into Cambridge computer science? I know for fact that Cambridge applicants are usually students with all A*s, constantly rethinking I shouldn't have messed up the exam. I've almost finished writing my personal statement and been revising for uni admissions test for ICL and Cambridge(MAT:64-76, TMUA:6.5-7.2), so the only thing that makes me worried is my actual grade for my a level computer science.
Reply 1
Hiya,

From what I know please don't take it as 100% true as this is up to Cambridge admissions teams themselves.

If you were to get a lower grade then you wished there is no harm still applying! Please check out their entry requirements as it would help for you to understand and luckily help ease ya up :smile:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science

In general, Cambridge as a whole (not the colleges) just want maths and further maths. The subjects you picked are perfect for the entry requirements. It also depends which college you apply for or if you do an open application. As some require a A* for computer science while others just want maths and a science subject or even just maths!

Please let me know what college/s you are interested to apply for so I can tell you more xx
Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by Trickia
Hiya,

From what I know please don't take it as 100% true as this is up to Cambridge admissions teams themselves.

If you were to get a lower grade then you wished there is no harm still applying! Please check out their entry requirements as it would help for you to understand and luckily help ease ya up :smile:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science

In general, Cambridge as a whole (not the colleges) just want maths and further maths. The subjects you picked are perfect for the entry requirements. It also depends which college you apply for or if you do an open application. As some require a A* for computer science while others just want maths and a science subject or even just maths!

Please let me know what college/s you are interested to apply for so I can tell you more xx
Hope this helps

Thank you for the reply, I think I will decide which college I'll consider going to after attending the open day in September. I heard Emmanuel college and Trinity are good for computer science, so I might go have a look at them two colleges!
Reply 3
Original post by lheeseung_05
Thank you for the reply, I think I will decide which college I'll consider going to after attending the open day in September. I heard Emmanuel college and Trinity are good for computer science, so I might go have a look at them two colleges!

Okay once you decided which college you would like to go to just use that link and check their entry requirements and make sure it is up to date! good luck xx

Quick Reply

Latest