The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh Uni or Durham Uni?

I am from New York and I received unconditional offers from both Edinburgh and Durham and am so conflicted on which to pick! I am in Edinburgh's History and Politics degree and just History for Durham. Which has more academic prestige? Which should I pick?
Reply 1
You shouldn’t solely base it on academic prestige. That is entirely up to you. I suggest going to open days and have a feel of what the university is like. Also take a look around the city see if it is for you, after all you’ll be living there for the next 3,4,5 Years
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
My daughter's in a similar position, although her subject is English Literature. Durham generally seems to be ranked much more highly in the UK "league tables". Here are links to the Guardian, Times and Sunday Times and The Complete University Guide - you can search by subject as well as overall ranking.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2017/may/16/university-league-tables-2018
http://nuk-tnl-editorial-prod-staticassets.s3.amazonaws.com/2016/bespoke/university-guide/index.html
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=History

Having said that, I Edinburgh ranks much more highly on the Times Higher Education and US News global rankings. I think these are more heavily influenced by post-graduate research, publications, etc and since Durham is somewhat more focused on undergraduate, the difference makes some sense but it's still interesting that the results are so far apart. I also think Edinburgh has better global recognition than Durham which may or may not be important to you.

The locations are going to be really different with far more on offer around the city in Edinburgh compared with tiny Durham. But Durham students seem to be a happier bunch (see the league tables for student satisfaction.) I'd agree with the previous poster that it's worth visiting if you are able. One might jump out as a place you want to be at - or absolutely do not want to be at.
(edited 6 years ago)
Congratulations on your offers! I have applied to both of these universities to study history! both are really lovely cities, however Durham is almost known for having no night life ie no clubs. On the other hand many employers I have spoken to, including lawyers, and archaeologists say that no university (not even oxford) come close to the reputation Durham has for its history degree. Of course don't take my word as law, but it really did make me consider putting Durham as first choice. However the offer they made me was A* A* A, and if I did manage to get that I would almost certainly reject Durham and apply to Oxford, as despite what the employers said, I fell in love with the place. Perhaps in terms of international recognition, Edinburgh as a university is more well known than Durham, but as far as I am aware, the prestige of a history degree from Durham is by far the top in the UK.Good luck in your choice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending