The Student Room Group

M4 or FP3?

Hi all,

So I have this dilemma. At my school, all further maths students sit an FP3 paper as part of their A level, however, I am absolutely dreading this. I am god awful at FP modules, and FP3 already looks ridiculous...

But, the mechanics modules are by far my favourite, I wish I could do all 5 tbh. But I was wondering about asking my teacher if I could self teach M4 instead and sit this instead of the FP3 module?

So basically, the whole point of the post: Do you have to take FP3 for the further maths a level, and is M4 difficult or easy to self teach?
In my school many double maths students are taking M3 as a backup choice and have lessons at lunchtimes (I think). But it's not a replacement, more of an extra module. If you've enjoyed mechanics in the past, it should be fine learning wise. Especially if you take physics.
Original post by ambershell27
In my school many double maths students are taking M3 as a backup choice and have lessons at lunchtimes (I think). But it's not a replacement, more of an extra module. If you've enjoyed mechanics in the past, it should be fine learning wise. Especially if you take physics.

The mechanics modules are definitely my favourite :biggrin: Kinda bummed out my school decided to only do 3 units but oh well...

And yep! I'm taking maths and applied for physics courses at uni so mechanics is definitely my forte at the moment :smile:

Thanks for the reply!
Personally I find FP3 fun which if funny because I hated FP1
I'm doing up to M2 & can honestly say if I had the option I would not have done them
Ask if you can do M4 since you like mechanics so much
There's no point in doing something you hate over something you love
And M4 is an A2 module so hopefully you should be able to do it instead
Good luck
Original post by HomeworkHater
Personally I find FP3 fun which if funny because I hated FP1
I'm doing up to M2 & can honestly say if I had the option I would not have done them
Ask if you can do M4 since you like mechanics so much
There's no point in doing something you hate over something you love
And M4 is an A2 module so hopefully you should be able to do it instead
Good luck

Haha we are like complete opposites then :laugh:

And thanks, I'll go and ask about it then since my teacher would probably be the best person to go and talk to about this anyways:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest