The Student Room Group

what to study in gap year

so i'm thinking of taking step i,ii, and iii in my gap year. i'm wondering what modules i should learn for step iii.

by the end of this year i'll have learnt fp3, m2, m3, s2 as my A2 modules. i know some questions in step iii require knowledge from higher applied modules.
should i learn m4 and m5? i was reading around and some ppl say that i should learn fp2+fp4 as well.

but i also read somewhere that the stats questions are easier than the others... so should i learn the later stats modules?! i'm not quite sure what to do. so if anyone with any experience w/ step could let me know what they did, that'd help loads

thanks in advance...
Currently on a gap year holding a Cambridge maths offer and my advice would be to 100% do fp2 as it increases your choice of STEP questions massively. I also did m4 and found it very useful for step (also hugely interesting). So do that if you want to. As for FP4- that won't be too useful content wise for step but the more maths the better. So if you a) have the time and b) the motivation; go ahead and do it. Also don't neglect the stats- some stats questions on step 1 are 'trivial'. But my main advice would be to study the extra modules you find the most interesting not the ones you think are gonna be most useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Mathsandphysftw

thanks for the response!! i’m definitely most interested in the core and mechanics modules, if i have time i’ll go through the stats modules too.
on actually doing step, i was wondering how you revised for it?
i’m thinking of doing all the support step modules and then starting past papers for each each step paper and working up until i’m at a good standard for all three... is that a good plan?

oh n congrats on the cambridge maths offer!!
Thanks! And yeah that is pretty much exactly what I did- I didn't find the modules massively helpful personally so I just used the past papers. I'm of the opinion that you can't do to many past paper questions. Also make sure you focus on a broad range of topics and try not to write many topics off before you get into the exam because it seems to be common for people to just say 'ewww (insert topic here) I hate that, I'm just going to ignore that question in the exam'. And it might turn out that, that question is easyish.
Reply 4
Thanks! And yeah that is pretty much exactly what I did- I didn't find the modules massively helpful personally so I just used the past papers. I'm of the opinion that you can't do to many past paper questions. Also make sure you focus on a broad range of topics and try not to write many topics off before you get into the exam because it seems to be common for people to just say 'ewww (insert topic here) I hate that, I'm just going to ignore that question in the exam'. And it might turn out that, that question is easyish.

i haven't started preparing yet as i wish to start in my gap year but the modules look helpful. i may be wrong once i actually start though. did you ever use any other material like BMO/MAT? or did you solely focus on STEP questions and stuff like Stephen Siklos' book?

are there any topics in particular that people tend to avoid or is it more of a personal thing? i've heard the stats questions are easier...
Lots of people tend to avoid vectors and/or complex number geometry but it's a fairly personal thing. Also some people will only ever do pure which isnt the smartest idea in my opinion.....
I also never really did any BMO on MAT- mainly because BMO was too hard and MAT is dull and has a different style of question. But I reiterate the more maths you do the better you get at it so if a particular thing interests you persue it; even if it isn't directly related to step
Reply 7
I also never really did any BMO on MAT- mainly because BMO was too hard and MAT is dull and has a different style of question. But I reiterate the more maths you do the better you get at it so if a particular thing interests you persue it; even if it isn't directly related to step

i agree tbh... i sat the MAT this year and absolutely flopped. but i didn't prepare enough and the questions are a bit dead.

step looks to be v v interesting tbh!! i haven't looked at BMO but i'll have a look. i'll prob try to focus on getting the best i can in step.

out of interest what'd you end up getting in step, if you don't mind me asking?!
I got 1 in step 3 but messed up my step 2 and got a 3 unfortunately (it was just a bad exam- they happen to us all). But Cambridge liked me apparently so kept my offer of 1,1 for a year and so I'm resitting this summer.
Reply 9
I got 1 in step 3 but messed up my step 2 and got a 3 unfortunately (it was just a bad exam- they happen to us all). But Cambridge liked me apparently so kept my offer of 1,1 for a year and so I'm resitting this summer.

aww unlucky, im sure you'll meet your offer!! good luck!
woah cambridge must rate u they gave u another offer straight off?

i heard that since i'm applying with a year out the offer will be higher than 1,1.. is that true?! not sure if i can get an S hhahaha

Quick Reply

Latest