The Student Room Group

Dentistry route?

I am extremely keen to study dentistry, however I haven’t taken the UCAT exam.
If I get the Alevel grades meeting the requirement for dentistry and take a gap year dedicated to work experience and to study for the UCAT exam, can I apply the UCAS application before September 2025, instead of doing a deferred application or do a deferred application without the UCAT for now and take it in the gap year? I have heard that dental students have taken my route, by focusing solely on their Alevel during their two years of sixth form and get the grades required, to then focusing on the UCAT during their gap year whilst picking up skills through work experience
Does this route still work?
(edited 7 months ago)
No you have to sit the UCAT before applying to uni, so you cannot apply for deferred entry for 2025 without having done their UCAT. Also unis most likely won't accept you for dent if you haven't done work experience. Are you maybe thinking of taking a gap year and applying in 2025?
Reply 2
Original post by toothysmile
No you have to sit the UCAT before applying to uni, so you cannot apply for deferred entry for 2025 without having done their UCAT. Also unis most likely won't accept you for dent if you haven't done work experience. Are you maybe thinking of taking a gap year and applying in 2025?

Yeh that’s the plan, to take a gap year and do the ucat then and work experience, so I’ll have to apply then
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by chaw4nn
Yeh that’s the plan, to take a gap year and do the ucat then and work experience, so I’ll have to apply then

Yes great plan! Might be worth doing the UCAT this year as a trial run?
Reply 4
Original post by toothysmile
Yes great plan! Might be worth doing the UCAT this year as a trial run?

I’m in yr13 rn, so I finish this year, gonna take my UCAT then apply to uni. But what do you think of studying abroad? It’s cheaper and some doesn’t require admission exams.
Original post by chaw4nn
I’m in yr13 rn, so I finish this year, gonna take my UCAT then apply to uni. But what do you think of studying abroad? It’s cheaper and some doesn’t require admission exams.

I'm in year 13 so i can't say but I know lots of people will apply internationally as a back up option

Quick Reply

Latest