The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Gap Year

Hey, I have taken a gap year due to my certain medical issue that I don't want to elaborate, it required me to have a surgery which I just had and now I'm recovering.

I'm aware it's a bit slightly late right now as it's halfway through December, but despite that, I've been wondering whether if I need to detail more about my medical situation that sort of impeded my ability to source some insightful experience in my personal statement? I'm not sure how unis would react if I just mention about my reasoning of gap year subtly in the personal statement.

The degree I wish to study is in Business field if this may be relevant though.
Original post by DoomSain
Hey, I have taken a gap year due to my certain medical issue that I don't want to elaborate, it required me to have a surgery which I just had and now I'm recovering.

I'm aware it's a bit slightly late right now as it's halfway through December, but despite that, I've been wondering whether if I need to detail more about my medical situation that sort of impeded my ability to source some insightful experience in my personal statement? I'm not sure how unis would react if I just mention about my reasoning of gap year subtly in the personal statement.

Hi @DoomSain

Hope you're feeling better and recovering well. 🙂

Though you might want to mention your gap year, I would keep it brief. Although your medical issues were important in your gap year reasoning, I would try to focus on things you have achieved, education, any work etc., and you could even add in what you'd like to work towards in the future, or what you'd like to achieve at university if you're struggling to add bits in due to your gap year.

Don't be afraid to include anything you think will aid your application, but also keep your statement as a reflection of yourself and your personality.

Best of luck with your application!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by DoomSain

Hello @DoomSain! I'd agree with Emily @BCU Student Rep - focus on using the space for telling universities who you are, why you want to study the course and anything relevant you've done over the past few years to help you prepare (doesn't need to be all about your gap year). You could perhaps use your experiences to demonstrate resilience, determination and a maturity for study for example 🙂

I'd say you could mention it if you feel it's important, but don't feel like you need or go in to lots of detail if you don't want to. There's space on the UCAS form for you to note additional support needs (e.g. disability/mental health requirements), but if you don't feel like it fits there you can also ask your reference to provide additional context too. That means the unis would be aware of it if there's any additional support you'd benefit from once you start depending on how long you may need to recover.

Above all, if you do decide to mention it I'd not say that universities would think of your gap year reasoning in a bad way. Using the year to take some time needed to make sure you're ready to start your studies on the right foot is not a bad thing 🙏

Best of luck with your application!
Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending