The Student Room Group

A level choices

Does Oxbridge require 2 facilitating subjects ?(in regards to politics / history degree ) thanks
It helps, but it’s not a requirement.

You could have 3A*’s in History, Psychology and English Language and it wouldn’t mean you don’t get a place. It’s useful but not necessary. ☺️
This document - https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/the_subject_matters.pdf has some details half way down about choosing A level subjects.
Not as black and white for Humanities as it is for Sciences- as I know for Medicine at Cambridge you pretty much need 3 science A Levels.

I’d say go for what you will enjoy and perform well in. 2 facilitating subjects would, however, be favourable- I’d imagine!
Also, I’m sure Politics would count as a facilitating subject if you’re applying to a political related degree!

Economics A Level is not facilitating technically, but Cambridge state on their website that it is considered a facilitating subject for Economics applicants!
I got an interview this year for Ancient and Modern History with only one facilitating subject, but all three of the subjects I took were on their 'recommended subject' list (History, Ancient History, and Classical Civilisation). For History this is just History, and for HisPol it's History, Politics, and Sociology on that list.

Quick Reply

Latest