The Student Room Group

What word's American pronunciation annoys you???

The word "water" in the American accent really annoys me!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When they pronounce Iran and Iraq as if they were Apple products.
Reply 2
Mirror :colonhash:
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
The word "water" in the American accent really annoys me!!

Aluminium
ROUTE

It makes my blood boil
Original post by UWS
When they pronounce Iran and Iraq as if they were Apple products.

I'm deadddd! :tongue:
Tuna
everything that comes out of their mouth tbh:colonhash:

'soccer':angry: it is football:h:
Mobile. "Mowble".
Garage. "Garaaaaj".
Semi. "Sem-eye".

Also not a pronunciation, but the phrase "I could care less" irritates me so ****ing much :angry:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Mobile. "Mowble".
Garage. "Garaaaaj".
Semi. "Sem-eye".

'cell phone':colonhash:
Original post by toonervoustotalk
'cell phone':colonhash:

The way that they name everything so literally gets me as well :lol: We call it "bin" - they call it "trash can" or "waste paper basket" like they need reminding what it's for. Same with "pavement" or as they call it "sidewalk" because it's at the side of the road and you walk on it.
Oregano
Pedro
Process
Niche
Craig
Buoy
Leisure
Semi/Anti words
Amen

And ****ing Adidas lmao I don't mind Nike but Adidas is just hilarious

Posted from TSR Mobile
The way that they name everything so literally gets me as well :lol: We call it "bin" - they call it "trash can" or "waste paper basket" like they need reminding what it's for. Same with "pavement" or as they call it "sidewalk" because it's at the side of the road and you walk on it.

To be fair only some call it a sidewalk. A lot say pavement. Depends where you live. Same goes for a lot of these words.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I hate how they pronounce foreign names e.g. everyone else in the world pronounces Djokovic with a short 'o' but Americans have to call him Jokeavic for some reason.
Original post by Notnek
I hate how they pronounce foreign names e.g. everyone else in the world pronounces Djokovic with a short 'o' but Americans have to call him Jokeavic for some reason.

Like I mentioned as well, Pedro and Craig. Imagine a British person called Craig going to USA 😂

They butcher a lot of English names. Any name like Attenborough or place names with -ham at the end

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg soo true
autumn is 'fall' as the leaves start to fall down :rolleyes:

so glad I aint an american tbh:h:
Oh and MORPHE.
Reply 17
Nuclear.

'Nucular'.

**** off.
Burrito
Original post by toonervoustotalk
omg soo true
autumn is 'fall' as the leaves start to fall down :rolleyes: