The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ironic title :p:
Reply 2
I don't remember many, but I see a shocker in the thread title.
I can't think of any maths ones, but from a Geography teacher: 'Ukraine is a mountain range'. And she asked why I was being insolent when I ignored her answer...
Reply 4
I'm confused...
Doesn't hanging a rope form a catenary? But to be honest thats a simple mistake really as it does look like a parabola if you haven't gone to all the trouble of using calculus of variations on this problem.

In my experience teachers, lecturers, supervisors etc all make mistakes, quite frequently as well. My current supervisor says to me never trust anybody elses words (i.e. spoken or wrote in a book) if you can't prove it yourself, as people do make mistakes and books are full of them.
Reply 6
0 div curl F
Doesn't hanging a rope form a catenary? But to be honest thats a simple mistake really as it does look like a parabola if you haven't gone to all the trouble of using calculus of variations on this problem.An inextensible rope will form a catenery.

Interestingly, if you use such a rope and 'hang' a suspension bridge off it, the rope does ends up forming a parabola(*) (under the assumption that the bridge is to be level, and is much heavier than the rope).

(*) This is mentioned in one of the Feynman books - "What do you care what other people think?" if memory serves. See also Q10, STEP I, 1991 (often mislabelled as STEP III, 1991); a good example of where a STEP question actually comes up with an interesting result you'd never see at A-level.
Reply 7
I remember being about 10 and arguing with an IT teacher who insisted that a "dessert" was a barren landscape and "desert" was another name for pudding. She never admitted she was wrong. :rolleyes:
I was told by a natsci recently that her supervisor, when asked why a certain formula held true, replied "it's just maths; they just make it all up".
Reply 9
root 75 is 5 root 3 isn't it :s
montyr
root 75 is 5 root 3 isn't it :s

It's just positive 5 root 3.
My chemistry teacher used to always write up the 'summery' on the board at the end of class. Basic mistake but we reacted clemently. :smile:
Reply 12
Not mistakes like those ones but worse i think, I had to do a course work piece for english on 2 novels doing a comparitive study! Now one teacher marked the first copy and said i would not achieve anything for this work. So what i did was planned it and everything and started from scratch, also taking notice of what i was advised to do. I followed the part about backing up your ideas, explaining and showing evidence such as quotes and then doing an overview etc etc. I gave this work in to be marked and i was told i would get at least a C which i was very pleased about being as i did struggle a bit in A level english. However this bits the worse part, i got the marks through from the exams and looking at that particular unit it came back as a U!!! How could a qualified A level teacher get this completly wrong and faulsly get my hopes up.... i was soooo dissapointed!
My physics teacher "Does π\pi have a set number of digits?" Genuine question...
Reply 14
I've had the classic 0.99999...=1 argument. Apparently "0.9999... is an infinitely close approximation of 1 but not exactly 1". And then everyone in the class agreed with the teacher so I was sort of forced to step down. Quite annoying.
SsEe
I've had the classic 0.99999...=1 argument. Apparently "0.9999... is an infinitely close approximation of 1 but not exactly 1". And then everyone in the class agreed with the teacher so I was sort of forced to step down. Quite annoying.

I've had this argument many a time.
It can be mathematically proven and disproven.

So I just tend to abstain from any such argument now.
Reply 16
lucy89
Not mistakes like those ones but worse i think, I had to do a course work piece for english on 2 novels doing a comparitive study! Now one teacher marked the first copy and said i would not achieve anything for this work. So what i did was planned it and everything and started from scratch, also taking notice of what i was advised to do. I followed the part about backing up your ideas, explaining and showing evidence such as quotes and then doing an overview etc etc. I gave this work in to be marked and i was told i would get at least a C which i was very pleased about being as i did struggle a bit in A level english. However this bits the worse part, i got the marks through from the exams and looking at that particular unit it came back as a U!!! How could a qualified A level teacher get this completly wrong and faulsly get my hopes up.... i was soooo dissapointed!

What?

Unless the teacher marked the paper, the blame, if there is any, may lie just as much with the marker as with the teacher.
Reply 17
The teacher had to mark it first and then the examinin board then would mark it.
Reply 18
P.s The teacher should not of gave me false hope though of getting a reasonable grade. She should of been able to mark this without errors
That's not uncommon.

My IT teacher said I'd get a B easily for my A2 courseworks put together.

Ended up with a C. Was really pissed off.

Latest