The Student Room Group

A-Levels that go with Eng Lit and French...

Ello!

POINT:
Are there any subjects you would recommend that go well with English Lit and French and why? Also, please can someone that takes/took A-Level History tell me what it's like, if/how it's different to GCSE, workload, difficulty and anything else you think might be useful?

CONTEXT:
I'm always changing my mind about what I should take for A-Levels...but now I'm definitely taking English and French because they are probably the only subjects that I am good at AND enjoy. However, I don't know what to take for my third A-Level, and I need help choosing one that will compliment the other two (not maths and science tho). I've heard that History goes well with them but I don't really enjoy History GCSE. Please could someone that takes A-Level History tell me what it's like, if/how it's different to GCSE, workload, difficulty and anything else you think might be useful. Also, I'm still uncertain about my future career so yeah :/ Thank you so much in advance :smile:
History is a good idea. Although I don’t do it, my friends say it’s good enough

I do a level geo and I think it’s quite fascinating. It’s an a level that touches on every spectrum of today’s world, from geology to geopolitics and the change of economy throughout history
Reply 2
Original post by fishbrain
Ello!

POINT:
Are there any subjects you would recommend that go well with English Lit and French and why? Also, please can someone that takes/took A-Level History tell me what it's like, if/how it's different to GCSE, workload, difficulty and anything else you think might be useful?

CONTEXT:
I'm always changing my mind about what I should take for A-Levels...but now I'm definitely taking English and French because they are probably the only subjects that I am good at AND enjoy. However, I don't know what to take for my third A-Level, and I need help choosing one that will compliment the other two (not maths and science tho). I've heard that History goes well with them but I don't really enjoy History GCSE. Please could someone that takes A-Level History tell me what it's like, if/how it's different to GCSE, workload, difficulty and anything else you think might be useful. Also, I'm still uncertain about my future career so yeah :/ Thank you so much in advance :smile:

Hi, I'm currently taking English Literature, English Language and Psychology, but I actually took History for a year and a half before dropping it. I love love love history, but I found the actual A Level incredibly tough, despite finding it relatively easy at GCSE. In my other subjects, I barely struggled to achieve A's in comparison to A Level history. I'd recommend it only if you have a true passion about the topics (we did British Industrialisation which was dry af). As someone who loves to study, I found the workload for history immense, and I know my friends in class also found themselves in similar situations. But before I scare you off entirely, it is possible to get your A, or whatever else you want - maybe you could ask someone at your school and look at their notes and textbook to gain an insight into the content? And your topics may be more inspiring, and your teachers possibly better. Exam wise, you'll have to be a strong essay writer, but from English Lit I'm guessing you are.

Alternative subjects you could look at could be Lang, or RS, or Philosophy and Ethics?

Hope this helps:smile:
I'm currently doing AS History and I love it! We study Germany & Russia, which I love, I also do English Literature and I find that whenever it comes to the Assessment Objective for context I am able to link the two subjects together. I did French earlier in the year before dropping it as I was struggling, however, the three subjects go really well together! I seen a 'jump' between GCSE and A level in English and French, however I seen none in History as History GCSE is just as heavy in workload. In History GCSE I was struggling to get C/B grades and came out with a B overall, while now I am achieving A/A* grades. I hated GCSE History and was worried about choosing it as an A level, but it is now my favourite subject and I am so glad I chose it! Honestly, if i was you I would ask your teacher and see what periods you would be studying, if you think that you will enjoy them then go for it!
Religion would also go well with your two subjects :smile:
Hope this helps!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest