The Student Room Group

FP2 (+fp3) grade boundaries--why are they so high?

The title^. For june 17 fp2 paper, 70/75 would be 80 ums so if you bscly lose >5 marks, you miss two whole grades. Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I haven't spoken to anyone who did those papers, so I was wondering if someone could say why they are so high? Was the paper THAT easy, or did everyone just prepare so well for it? Lol honestly, everytime I'm practising I just remember the cancerous grade boundaries and it's not a good feeling.
Thank you!
Reply 1
Hey. I took the FP2 and FP3 paper last year if you're talking about Edexcel anyway. The grade boundaries for further maths modules have always been high generally. I don't know why tbh. You could get an A* in Maths and still be looking at a B/A grade in further maths if you're not good enough.

My memory's a little fuzzy since it's been a while but as I remember it, I could answer every question (but I didn't obviously because I'm an idiot) so by default, that made it easier than the past papers (?). I think what I mean is that the topics themselves weren't difficult so naturally it'd be easier than other papers which had some questions from harder topics

Isn't FP3 like 69 for A and 71 for A* or something ******** like that lmao.

I don't really know what your grades are looking like so it's hard to judge but I guess it's important not to think that you can half arse a topic and get away with it. Expect everything to be in it and you won't be surprised? That's kinda *****y but you get the idea.
Reply 2
Original post by Congee
Hey. I took the FP2 and FP3 paper last year if you're talking about Edexcel anyway. The grade boundaries for further maths modules have always been high generally. I don't know why tbh. You could get an A* in Maths and still be looking at a B/A grade in further maths if you're not good enough.

My memory's a little fuzzy since it's been a while but as I remember it, I could answer every question (but I didn't obviously because I'm an idiot) so by default, that made it easier than the past papers (?). I think what I mean is that the topics themselves weren't difficult so naturally it'd be easier than other papers which had some questions from harder topics

Isn't FP3 like 69 for A and 71 for A* or something ******** like that lmao.

I don't really know what your grades are looking like so it's hard to judge but I guess it's important not to think that you can half arse a topic and get away with it. Expect everything to be in it and you won't be surprised? That's kinda *****y but you get the idea.

For 2017, fp3 was 65 for A, 70 for A*... i think they were decent in the last few years apart 2016 faaam. Yes, thank you I get the idea. Idk what grade I'm working at either, but we have mock first week back so that will tell me hopefully. All in all, is it normal that i find the last few questions of the mxd exercises and review ex REALLY hard? Thank you and gl.
Reply 3
Dude I know it's been 12 days but if you still check tsr then I'd have to say that FP2 it might not be so bad since the topics are fairly straight forward but FP3 further co-ordinate systems were a *****. It's probably the hardest topic in FP3. You're going to want to spend a lot of time on that. You should notice that since there are only 6 chapters and only a certain number of questions, you might get lucky but there's no point risking that. The chapters themselves are dense in material so it's real easy for a specific type of question not to turn up but don't get baited into thinking it won't turn up for you.

Good luck with everything, Further Maths is difficult but to be honest I wouldn't want it to be easy if that makes any sense? I think it makes it oddly enjoyable.
Reply 4
Original post by Congee
Dude I know it's been 12 days but if you still check tsr then I'd have to say that FP2 it might not be so bad since the topics are fairly straight forward but FP3 further co-ordinate systems were a *****. It's probably the hardest topic in FP3. You're going to want to spend a lot of time on that. You should notice that since there are only 6 chapters and only a certain number of questions, you might get lucky but there's no point risking that. The chapters themselves are dense in material so it's real easy for a specific type of question not to turn up but don't get baited into thinking it won't turn up for you.

Good luck with everything, Further Maths is difficult but to be honest I wouldn't want it to be easy if that makes any sense? I think it makes it oddly enjoyable.

Yes, will deffo take that on board and thank you for the information. Really helpful.
Original post by wazz123
The title^. For june 17 fp2 paper, 70/75 would be 80 ums so if you bscly lose >5 marks, you miss two whole grades. Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I haven't spoken to anyone who did those papers, so I was wondering if someone could say why they are so high? Was the paper THAT easy, or did everyone just prepare so well for it? Lol honestly, everytime I'm practising I just remember the cancerous grade boundaries and it's not a good feeling.
Thank you!

which exam board?
Reply 6
Original post by Mikasadoge
which exam board?

Edexcel :smile:
The cohort for Further Maths are usually very able hence they're likely to score very well on average therefore causing such inflated grade boundaries.

They're a bit too high I guess since regular Maths A* boundary is sometimes similar to a B in Further Maths which is surprising considering it's much harder although if you're studying FM, your mathematical ability should be superb so hopefully one can score high (relative to the cohort) and score an A*.
Original post by wazz123
Edexcel :smile:

thank the lord I am on AQA lmao
Reply 9
Original post by thekidwhogames
The cohort for Further Maths are usually very able hence they're likely to score very well on average therefore causing such inflated grade boundaries.

They're a bit too high I guess since regular Maths A* boundary is sometimes similar to a B in Further Maths which is surprising considering it's much harder although if you're studying FM, your mathematical ability should be superb so hopefully one can score high (relative to the cohort) and score an A*.

Ah yes definitely makes sense- never thought about it thay way tbh. But yh, thank you.
Reply 10
Original post by Mikasadoge
thank the lord I am on AQA lmao

was gonna call you lot like lucky but your papers do seem quite tough lool

Quick Reply

Latest