The Student Room Group

Transferring University

I'm looking to transfer from South Wales to Southampton Solent, to move closer to home. I know this is the right decision for me, and I want to study the same course.

Long story short I have two options:
- drop out now and apply for first year at SSU
- Finish first year at USW and apply for year 2

I'd prefer to start fresh at SSU but I'm not sure what SFE cover me for. Will I have to pay a year's tuition fees myself, or will my gift year cover it? (as both are 3 year courses.)

Also, how will this affect my maintenance loan, does this have a "gift year" too?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Sylvanas
I'm looking to transfer from South Wales to Southampton Solent, to move closer to home. I know this is the right decision for me, and I want to study the same course.

Long story short I have two options:
- drop out now and apply for first year at SSU
- Finish first year at USW and apply for year 2

I'd prefer to start fresh at SSU but I'm not sure what SFE cover me for. Will I have to pay a year's tuition fees myself, or will my gift year cover it? (as both are 3 year courses.)

It's most likely your gift year will cover it, but that does depend if you have any previous study. The formula is:

New course length + 1 - previous study

So it's likely that for you this is 3+1-1, so all 3 years of the new course are funded.

If you are making a new UCAS application then you'll have to hurry your socks up, as the UCAS deadline is January 15th and after then unis don't have to consider your application.
Reply 2
Yes that's exactly right, thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending