The Student Room Group

Transferring University

I've finished my first year doing Computer Science and want to transfer university because I don't like way the course is taught at my uni and my accommodation plans falling through. Is it too late to transfer?
Original post by billz979
I've finished my first year doing Computer Science and want to transfer university because I don't like way the course is taught at my uni and my accommodation plans falling through. Is it too late to transfer?

No its not too late however universities generally dont accept transfers direct to 2nd years so you might have to restart year 1 and the university might not have any spaces. Give the university you intend travelling to a ring and discuss it with them.

Be aware if you have entered any accommodation contract you could be liable for it.

Hello, I would suggest you to search for the course structure of the two universities. I think you'd can try to contact the university's computing department because most cases the university didn't accept transfer students to go straight into 2nd year because the modules you've done at another university might not meet the prerequisites of their 2nd year compulsory modules. I hope this help and I wish everything goes well for you!

- Miyuki (Lancaster University FST Student Ambassador)

Hey!
I can provide some general guidance, but please keep in mind that specific transfer policies and deadlines may vary between universities. Generally speaking, it is not uncommon for students to transfer universities after their first year. Many universities have specific transfer programs in place to accommodate students who wish to change institutions.

To determine if it's too late to transfer, I recommend taking the following steps:

Research transfer policies: Visit the websites of the universities you are interested in transferring to and review their transfer admission policies. Look for information on application deadlines, credit transfer policies, and any specific requirements for transfer students.

Contact the admissions office: Reach out to the admissions office or the department of computer science at the university you're interested in transferring to. They can provide you with specific information about the transfer process, including deadlines and requirements. It's important to communicate with them as early as possible to ensure you have enough time to complete the application process.

Evaluate credit transfer: Inquire about the possibility of transferring your credits from your current university. Different institutions have different policies regarding credit transfer, so it's essential to understand how your completed coursework will be recognized at the new university. This will help determine how much progress you'll have made towards completing your degree requirements.

Consider housing options: While transferring universities, it's crucial to consider your housing situation. Look into the accommodation options available at the new university, such as on-campus housing, off-campus apartments, or shared rentals. Contact the housing office to inquire about availability and application deadlines to secure a place to live.

Plan your finances: Transferring universities may have financial implications, including tuition fees, housing costs, and potential changes in scholarships or financial aid packages. Ensure you review the financial aspects of the transfer and make appropriate arrangements to cover any additional costs.

Remember, each university has its own transfer policies and deadlines, so it's important to gather accurate and up-to-date information from the institutions you are considering. Acting promptly will give you the best chance of successfully transferring to a new university that better aligns with your academic and accommodation preferences.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Reply 4

hello, I'm currently in the exact same situation. Did you manage to make your transfer? If so, could you tell me how?
Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending