The Student Room Group

Maths Probability Question (Help)

Hi everybody,

I'm currently doing some revision for a maths exam, i was just wondering if anybody could help me out with this question below?

There are 8 tables:
Table 1 (BBQ food)
Table 2 (BBQ food)
Table 3 (BBQ food)
Table 4 (Onion rings)
Table 5 (Chips)
Table 6 (Salad)
Table 7 (Pasta)
Table 8 (Rice)

A guest chooses two items of food having stated that they may choose two from the same or from different tables…

What is the probability that they will return with two items of barbecue food?

Would anyone have the answer for this? e.g. the probability would be 2/8, etc?? i'm really not sure
Well in real life this probability would be affected by the preferences of the guest but if we assume that the probability of him going to each table is the same:

Probability of going to each table = 1/8 ( as there are 8 different tables)

There are 3 tables of BBQ food so the probability of getting BBQ should be: 3x 1/8
= 3/8

Using your rule of when two events happen (ie choosing from a table twice) we multiply the probabilities, can you finish the question?

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by zak7654
Hi everybody,

I'm currently doing some revision for a maths exam, i was just wondering if anybody could help me out with this question below?

There are 8 tables:
Table 1 (BBQ food)
Table 2 (BBQ food)
Table 3 (BBQ food)
Table 4 (Onion rings)
Table 5 (Chips)
Table 6 (Salad)
Table 7 (Pasta)
Table 8 (Rice)

A guest chooses two items of food having stated that they may choose two from the same or from different tables…

What is the probability that they will return with two items of barbecue food?

Would anyone have the answer for this? e.g. the probability would be 2/8, etc?? i'm really not sure

Technically you can't answer the question become it's not stated that he chooses a table randomly.

If he chooses a table randomly.
Well the Probability of him choosing BBQ first time around is 3/8.
the probablity of him choosing BBQ second time around is 3/8.

You can finish it off.

Quick Reply

Latest