The Student Room Group

Help with ib choices

Hi! Here's what I'm planning to take:

HL eng lang lit (i like english)
HL psychology (interesting to learn, but not interested in that career)
HL economics (interesting to learn, but not interested in that career)
SL math, chinese, biology (seems easiest out of all sciences)

BUT ... I have some queries:
- any tips for those subjects that I'm taking?
- don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Def not medicine, engineering, law etc. Going more towards journalism, film, social media. Do my subjects somewhat match that?
- I know IB will be challenging but will I have more work compared to others due to my subject choices & the amount of coursework/memorization I have to do?
- Should I drop economics & take HL bio, SL environmental science instead? I took economics in GCSE & I did pretty alright, seems applicable to the real world. People have told me HL bio 'opens up career choices' but it's not like I want to be a scientist or whatever. Also most unis don't look at SLs so maybe I should take something easier like environmental?

Thank you!
Original post by xcvbnkwef
Hi! Here's what I'm planning to take:

HL eng lang lit (i like english)
HL psychology (interesting to learn, but not interested in that career)
HL economics (interesting to learn, but not interested in that career)
SL math, chinese, biology (seems easiest out of all sciences)

BUT ... I have some queries:
- any tips for those subjects that I'm taking?
- don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Def not medicine, engineering, law etc. Going more towards journalism, film, social media. Do my subjects somewhat match that?
- I know IB will be challenging but will I have more work compared to others due to my subject choices & the amount of coursework/memorization I have to do?
- Should I drop economics & take HL bio, SL environmental science instead? I took economics in GCSE & I did pretty alright, seems applicable to the real world. People have told me HL bio 'opens up career choices' but it's not like I want to be a scientist or whatever. Also most unis don't look at SLs so maybe I should take something easier like environmental?

Thank you!

If you aren't considering doing a science subject in uni... then doing ESS at SL wouldn't be a horrible choice. Economics is a good HL subject, if you aren't considering a science subject in uni... Biology HL wouldn't be great plus it may lower your final overall grade so that it affects uni admissions... Would suggest taking HL English Lit over Lang/Lit though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest