The Student Room Group

Are these subjects ok for Chinese?

So I've just finished my first term of A-level, and I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and Pre-U Mandarin with the intention to drop one and end up doing a science degree, however I've come to realise that while I'd be happy to do a science degree, I'd rather do Chinese Studies, and Mandarin is by far my strongest subject.

My worry is that because I don't do any essay subjects my application won't be very strong. I've talked to an Economics teacher about switching to economics because it's an essay subject that I thought I'd be interested in because I'm interested in current affairs and Maths, and he said that I could switch to it if I self studied it over these christmas holidays, but halfway through I'm beginning to realise that while I find it easy it's also very boring. Could I stick with my subjects and then still apply for Oriental Studies and have a good chance?

I got 8 A* at GCSE so I'm aiming high (preferably Oxford) including A* in English Lit, History and Geography, but I'm not sure if this is enough proof I can write essays, because obviously the level of writing at A level and GCSE is completely different. Do I have any chance?
Original post by AlastairKB
So I've just finished my first term of A-level, and I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and Pre-U Mandarin with the intention to drop one and end up doing a science degree, however I've come to realise that while I'd be happy to do a science degree, I'd rather do Chinese Studies, and Mandarin is by far my strongest subject.

My worry is that because I don't do any essay subjects my application won't be very strong. I've talked to an Economics teacher about switching to economics because it's an essay subject that I thought I'd be interested in because I'm interested in current affairs and Maths, and he said that I could switch to it if I self studied it over these christmas holidays, but halfway through I'm beginning to realise that while I find it easy it's also very boring. Could I stick with my subjects and then still apply for Oriental Studies and have a good chance?

I got 8 A* at GCSE so I'm aiming high (preferably Oxford) including A* in English Lit, History and Geography, but I'm not sure if this is enough proof I can write essays, because obviously the level of writing at A level and GCSE is completely different. Do I have any chance?

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/oriental-studies?wssl=1

There are no required subjects although they do prefer a Language to A level, but expect your Pre U will be ok.

They also expect you to take the practicals.

If that is what you wish to do, then go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending