The Student Room Group

University study help

Hi all,

I am studying criminology online and was looking for any study help. For example, first time errors to avoid, TMA advice, tips and tricks etc.

Thank you!

Rob
Original post by Rstarling
Hi all,

I am studying criminology online and was looking for any study help. For example, first time errors to avoid, TMA advice, tips and tricks etc.

Thank you!

Rob

Copy of the good study guide or similar if its a long time since you have studied.

Learn to write essays.
Be well organised.
Font forget additional research and that might mean using a library.

Hard to say as you dont say a lot about yourself.
Do you get specific learning materials or do they just give you a list of books? Some decent revision books will be a godsend.
Reply 2
Hi there,

Thank you for your advice, the course is fully online so the course materials are fully delivered online.

They have an online library for students distant leaning, recorded lectures to watch and also have live webcam discussions.

Thanks

Rob
Hi there,

Thank you for your advice, the course is fully online so the course materials are fully delivered online.

They have an online library for students distant leaning, recorded lectures to watch and also have live webcam discussions.

Thanks

Rob

Not sure how experienced a student you are. Try and make a set of notes i.e bring the material down to a manageable size.

There will be plenty of revision books for individual modules.

You will need to get used to doing problem questions and essays. Practice.

Be well organised and dont fall behind. Address any weaknesses asap. Most skills can be learned.
Reply 4
Thanks again. I have done 5 a levels, worked for 6 years and passed an insurance legal exam, it’s just this is my first time studying at university level, having to submit TMA’s and do research for them etc.

Wanted to know any good study advice at university level, research and reading tips and any mistakes first time students make that I could avoid.

Thank you!
Thanks again. I have done 5 a levels, worked for 6 years and passed an insurance legal exam, it’s just this is my first time studying at university level, having to submit TMA’s and do research for them etc.

Wanted to know any good study advice at university level, research and reading tips and any mistakes first time students make that I could avoid.

Thank you!

which uni is this course being offered by?
Reply 6
University of Essex?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Audrey18
which uni is this course being offered by?

University of Essex?
University of Essex?

i'm curious about criminology. What is it about and why did you choose essex? Is it a good uni for criminology? Because Liverpool seems to be popular for that course but you have to study on site

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/criminology-ba-hons/overview/
Reply 9
i'm curious about criminology. What is it about and why did you choose essex? Is it a good uni for criminology? Because Liverpool seems to be popular for that course but you have to study on site

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/criminology-ba-hons/overview/

Criminology examines serious concerns we face as a society, causes of crime and criminal behaviour, preventing crime, how and why should we punish offenders and how does the criminal justice link to social justice.

The modules you cover are for example, criminal legal system, criminal and forensic psychology, crime scene investigation, policing and criminal profiling and I think it teachers you FBI profiling.

I picked this course and university because the course is only over 4 years and you don’t have to go sit any exams. However, the course will therefore not be accredited with the british psychological society nevertheless I am not looking to register with the society at the point of graduation.

If you need to know anything else please ask.
@Rstarling

that's a really good explanation. Thanks for that. Why are you looking to do this course if you're not planning to register with the society at the point of graduation? Are you planning to do this course just to learn extra knowledge? Which other unis offer criminology as an online course?
Reply 11
That’s ok. Essentially, I just wanted a degree so I just picked a subject that I am interested in and this was criminology. To be a criminologist or forensic psychologist you will need accreditation and also experience in this field. But there is still a lot of other things you can do with this degree, just for example there is lots of graduate programs which just look for people with a honours degrees (regardless of what you studied in). But I’m not looking to do this.

When I have competed my level 5 modules, I can apply for the probation officer program and this takes 12 months. Usually takes longer but my degree will be direct and will shorten the training program length required to 12 months.

When I graduate I would have finished my probation officer program. Thus gaining experience in law, crime and dealing with difficult people, criminals.

I would be on a good enough salary to self fund another degree and that’s what I am going to, in law.

The law degrees are accredited and there is two to pick from. Law or Law and Criminology (the criminology replaces some modules you would do if you just done a regular law degree). I will pick the law and criminology as I will not need to do the criminology modules because of the credits I gained from this degree and therefore shorting the time I could get a qualifying law degree in, by a lot.

This would take around 6 years to gain both (the time it would take just to do one degree with, for example, the open university).

Once I have these two degrees and experience in the criminal sector, I will do a masters in law or criminology, move up in my career and start a PhD.

My plan may change or there may be things I can not do when I get there but I have many back up plans and routes to take but this is my main course.

I am not sure what other university offer this degree but there is a program you can use online to check out an university. They get their research from reports from students. It will tell you what the students enjoyed, how many want on to jobs or further education or unemployed, what salary they had in 6 months and lots more!

If you would like to know anything else just ask :smile:
Reply 12
@Rstarling

that's a really good explanation. Thanks for that. Why are you looking to do this course if you're not planning to register with the society at the point of graduation? Are you planning to do this course just to learn extra knowledge? Which other unis offer criminology as an online course?

I replied above.
I replied above.

It seems from your reply that you're a very motivated person. You know what you want and you know how to get there. Good luck for your studies.
Reply 14
It seems from your reply that you're a very motivated person. You know what you want and you know how to get there. Good luck for your studies.

Thank you!

Have you or are you going to study at university?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending