The Student Room Group

How often do you work whilst at uni?

Like in a week and somewhere outside the university. Whilst balancing your studies..?
Original post by Sop 27
Like in a week and somewhere outside the university. Whilst balancing your studies..?

3 days (24 hours a week)
Original post by Sop 27

Hi,

International Students are only allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term-time. In my opinion, that is just right and manageable alongside your studies. However, it varies from person to person, so it really is about how much you can manage.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Original post by Sop 27

Hi there,

It will depend upon your workload at University (i.e. contact hours) and this may also change through the year in terms of coursework deadlines, exam time etc. If possible I would try to get a job where the hours are somewhat flexible, meaning you can reduce, or increase the hours depending upon your workload at the University.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Original post by Sop 27

I only did 2 shifts a week without it impacting my studying. 3 shifts during reading week and more during the summer :smile:
Original post by Sop 27

Hey there @Sop 27 !
When I used to have a part-time job, I told my employer I'd do no more than 16 hours a week. If there was a random week they were really understaffed and needed the extra help then I'd push it to 21 but anymore than that and I felt like I was putting work before my studies. It's definitely manageable to get a part-time job at university, it's just a case of knowing when to say no. Sometimes with jobs, employers like to push it when they see you're doing above the expected. It's important to tell them the boundaries and when enough is enough. It's also good to get a flexible job that lets you do more hours during school holidays or reading weeks at university.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 6
It would be nice if I was even able to find employment in the first place :frown:
Original post by Sop 27

Hi there @Sop 27, :smile:

If you are looking to work alongside your studies then I would recommend finding a workplace that is flexible around your studies throughout the year. I had a part time job while studying with an 8 hour contract allowing me to pick up extra shifts when I could and reduce my hours when I needed to. Your university may also have part-time jobs available, they will be more understanding and flexible around your studies so it's worth having a look.

I hope this helps. :smile:
All the best,
Sarah
Original post by Sop 27

Hi there,
Many universities recommend you don't work more than 20 hours per week. Whilst working part time is a great way to gain skills outside of your degree and supplement your income, it's also important that you're able to - like you said - balance your studies effectively. If your concerned about doing this, I'd say take on a shorter/flexible contract or pick up seasonal work that you can easily fit around your studies. We recently wrote a blog about working part time as a student that may be worth checking out? Read it here: https://bit.ly/3rcf3x1.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by Sop 27

Hey there,

As an international student I have 20 hours restrictions during the term time. However, I have realised that it would be really hard to work more than 20 hours without significant affect on one's studies.

So, I usually try to fit work in the days when I have no classes, or in evenings when I am free from studying.
Therefore, it usually sums up to 8-15 hours per week. Sometimes, I may work all 20 hours, but it really depends on the amount of work we receive as student ambassadors.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions :smile:

- Ilya :biggrin:
Original post by Sop 27

Hello,

The amount you work alongside your studies will depend on you, your course and how much you can handle. A lot of universities have their own work schemes, for example the University of Lincoln has Campus Jobs, this allows students to work flexibly at the univesity at positions like a student ambassador. University jobs are often more flexbile and more understanding around your studies, which can be extremely useful during exam season. If this isn't the case for your university, you could instead try to look at job reviews for students to find flexbile employment, for example a zero hour contract. Although it is completely possible to work during your degree, the amount will vary and having a flexible job is key in my experience. Hope this helps!
Hello @Sop 27 and everyone!

Some really great advice so far - hopefully I can dive in and help a little too! If working in a place outside your university is really important to you, then definitely go for it if they will be flexible and understanding of your situation. There is also a Students' Union Jobs page here at Bath where the SU advertise both on-campus roles as well as local off-campus ones.

In my first year one of my flatmates chose to work at a restaurant in town, doing 2-3 evening shifts a week, alongside other Bath students, which equated to around 12-15 hours, which paid well and never conflicted with classes. Personally I opted for an on-campus job as a student ambassador - I used to sign up for around 2-5 hours worth of events each week in term time to fit around my lectures and studying. Have you also considered jobs on-campus? These roles may be more flexible and understanding of the demands of studying at University. If your university has a jobs page it is definitely worth checking out, as on-campus jobs are by no means restricted to café shifts and ambassador work if this does not interest you! There may be opportunities on there you don't expect - for example here at Bath there are part-time and casual roles with the Marketing Teams (e.g. social media and web content editing), as a Sports Coach, or working with the Accommodation Team during the summer.

Having a job at university is more than possible and is a fab way to top up your budget and meet people :smile: however its important to put your wellbeing and your studies first.

I hope that helps! If you have any questions please post them on here, and best of luck with your future :smile:

Holly
University of Bath
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending