The Student Room Group

Doing AS Levels

Hi there,

I'm in the first year of A Levels and have recently decided that they are most likely not for me. There are no courses that I feel appeal to me at university, however I have found a music college that I am definitely interested in going to (this college is called Access if you were wondering). The entry requirements state that A Levels are not a neccessity and therefore I sort of feel as if I will be wasting my time if I do that other year; and my attitude leaves me feeling there is simply no time to waste lol.My plan would be to at least complete my subjects as an AS Level and then until I begin my course at Access, I would work on my art and be sure to get a job in order to earn as much money as possible (as the course is in London and I am aware it will not be cheap).

My questions are will employers respect AS Levels? If I do not pursue a career in music, will AS Levels help me to go onto something else? And generally do you think this decision would be a good one? Sorry if this was long I just thought I would fully explain.

If you were wondering, I take English Literature, Biology and Media Studies.

Thank you :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jxsiddon12
Hi there,

I'm in the first year of A Levels and have recently decided that they are most likely not for me. There are no courses that I feel appeal to me at university, however I have found a music college that I am definitely interested in going to (this college is called Access if you were wondering). The entry requirements state that A Levels are not a neccessity and therefore I sort of feel as if I will be wasting my time if I do that other year; and my attitude leaves me feeling there is simply no time to waste lol.My plan would be to at least complete my subjects as an AS Level and then until I begin my course at Access, I would work on my art and be sure to get a job in order to earn as much money as possible (as the course is in London and I am aware it will not be cheap).

My questions are will employers respect AS Levels? If I do not pursue a career in music, will AS Levels help me to go onto something else? And generally do you think this decision would be a good one? Sorry if this was long I just thought I would fully explain.

If you were wondering, I take English Literature, Biology and Media Studies.

Thank you :smile:

Bit like a GCSE. They are even less useful these days as you cant use them to upgrade to an A level. By heir own I dont think they will be that great. If you completed them competently maybe BCC, then you would have options. Maybe you could switch to college and if Music is your thing then theres a BTEC extended diploma in Music or Music Technology and you could use that to get into BIMM?

http://www.bimm.co.uk/

Just a thought. Now is the last time you will get free education. It will cost you thousands if you need t get the same qualifications in the future. If I had the ability then I think i'd finish. You are still young and the world can be a much harder place with low qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest