The Student Room Group

Dentistry EPQ.

heyyyy i'm about to start my EPQ and i want it to be based around dentistry but i was a bit lost for ideas...i just need some inspiration as to what topic within dentistry would have a lot of information on in books and on the internet. Initially i was thinking maybe do how dental treatment has evolved over time, and then i thought about how technology is linked to dentistry but i feel like those topics are rather broad and not too interesting. has anyone got any ideas??? it would really help a lot
thank youuuuuuuu xx
You could talk about evolution of the jaw or dentition over time? Dentistry doesn't necessarily have to be about human dentition - for example you could compare mammalian and reptilian teeth.

Or you could zoom in on your idea e.g. how fillings or dentures have changed over time.

P.S. That username is 👌
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mesopotamian.
You could talk about evolution of the jaw or dentition over time? Dentistry doesn't necessarily have to be about human dentition - for example you could compare mammalian and reptilian teeth.

Or you could zoom in on your idea e.g. how fillings or dentures have changed over time.

P.S. That username is 👌

aahhhh omg THANK YOU!!!!!!!! i was also contemplating about creating a set of dentures as a potential artefact so that could fit in with what you suggested thank you once again :smile:

MESOPOTAMIAN BABYLONIAN ARE YOU IRAQI OMG
Original post by babylonian
aahhhh omg THANK YOU!!!!!!!! i was also contemplating about creating a set of dentures as a potential artefact so that could fit in with what you suggested thank you once again :smile:

MESOPOTAMIAN BABYLONIAN ARE YOU IRAQI OMG

Yep :biggrin:
Reply 4
Yep :biggrin:

me tooooo!!!!!

just curious, do you do dentistry or are you in year 12/13?
me tooooo!!!!!

just curious, do you do dentistry or are you in year 12/13?

High five :five:

I'm doing dentistry :smile: What universities are you planning to apply to?
Reply 6
High five :five:

I'm doing dentistry :smile: What universities are you planning to apply to?

ohhhh congratulations on getting in! i'm thinking about queen mary's, king's college london, university of birmingham and possibly university of manchester but these aren't for definite yet - i have to say though kcl seems fantastic
ohhhh congratulations on getting in! i'm thinking about queen mary's, king's college london, university of birmingham and possibly university of manchester but these aren't for definite yet - i have to say though kcl seems fantastic

Thank you! Yeah I applied to QM and KCL - those two probably have the 'nicest' interviews from what I've heard about the others (still scary though and deeefinnettllly not easy) - Cardiff was an absolute nightmare :afraid:
Reply 8
Thank you! Yeah I applied to QM and KCL - those two probably have the 'nicest' interviews from what I've heard about the others (still scary though and deeefinnettllly not easy) - Cardiff was an absolute nightmare :afraid:

yes omg that's very true - the interviews really separate out the pure academics from those who are very academically capable and also have a
personality suited to dentistry, you literally can not afford to go wrong...

anyways your suggestions were really helpful man thank you so much!! did you do an EPQ by any chance?
yes omg that's very true - the interviews really separate out the pure academics from those who are very academically capable and also have a
personality suited to dentistry, you literally can not afford to go wrong...

anyways your suggestions were really helpful man thank you so much!! did you do an EPQ by any chance?

I started one - so I have an introduction for it but I never actually followed through with it because I was aiming for 3A*s and decided to invest my time in my A Levels instead.
Although my EPQ was about stem cells and its uses if I can remember correctly so it would've been irrelevant anyway :redface:

Btw just as a tip, there will be quite a few universities that will be holding summer schools for year 12 from April onwards. I think some applications start opening from as early as February so it may be worth looking into. A lot of them do medicine rather than dentistry (just because so few universities actually offer dentistry) but it's still immensely beneficial because obviously these two subjects are very similar in many respects. Examples include St George's University of London and Cambridge (via the Sutton Trust) so yeah, just thought I'd mention it because they really helped me in my application process and were great experiences (gave me something to talk about :tongue:)
Reply 10
I started one - so I have an introduction for it but I never actually followed through with it because I was aiming for 3A*s and decided to invest my time in my A Levels instead.
Although my EPQ was about stem cells and its uses if I can remember correctly so it would've been irrelevant anyway :redface:

Btw just as a tip, there will be quite a few universities that will be holding summer schools for year 12 from April onwards. I think some applications start opening from as early as February so it may be worth looking into. A lot of them do medicine rather than dentistry (just because so few universities actually offer dentistry) but it's still immensely beneficial because obviously these two subjects are very similar in many respects. Examples include St George's University of London and Cambridge (via the Sutton Trust) so yeah, just thought I'd mention it because they really helped me in my application process and were great experiences (gave me something to talk about :tongue:)

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into it and see

my school made it obligatory to do an EPQ if you only chose three A levels so I'm a bit stuck because I really want to get an A* in bio chem and maths but I also don't want to waste any valuable time on the EPQ ahhhh

my school made it obligatory to do an EPQ if you only chose three A levels so I'm a bit stuck because I really want to get an A* in bio chem and maths but I also don't want to waste any valuable time on the EPQ ahhhh

If I were you I would use any free periods and after school time that I have to revise for the A Levels and then keep the weekends or part of it free for the EPQ (obviously if that's not enough I would also use up some weekend evenings too) - that's what I'm doing currently at uni because we have In-course assessments every month or so as well as an essay, so I split up my time to give enough for revision/ making notes and for the essay.
Reply 12
If I were you I would use any free periods and after school time that I have to revise for the A Levels and then keep the weekends or part of it free for the EPQ (obviously if that's not enough I would also use up some weekend evenings too) - that's what I'm doing currently at uni because we have In-course assessments every month or so as well as an essay, so I split up my time to give enough for revision/ making notes and for the essay.

mmmm that's good, it's what im trying to do... keeping on top of things and being organised is key, once you're behind by a small bit you're done for :frown: i really don't want to spend a lot of time on the EPQ though because my A levels are my priority tbh
mmmm that's good, it's what im trying to do... keeping on top of things and being organised is key, once you're behind by a small bit you're done for :frown: i really don't want to spend a lot of time on the EPQ though because my A levels are my priority tbh

Yeah definitely understand how you feel. Tbh most dental schools don't really care about the EPQ (which was one of the reasons I dropped it) so making your A Levels your priority is definitely a good idea, but also don't neglect the EPQ as having a bad grade may not look good - these days the admissions will use any excuse to reject you (trust me I know!).

Is there no way you could talk to your tutor or someone at school to explain to them that since the EPQ isn't really needed for dentistry and since it is a very competitive course that maybe you could drop it (and promise then you'll work hard for those top grades in return)?
Reply 14

tbh, if you finish you epq in year 12/L6 you should be fine and it shouldn't hurt your A levels results at all, you just have to make sure you're consistent, for EPQ there's a lot of chunks of a lot of work you should prepare for and keep on top of I did an EPQ in year 12 so if you have any questions feel free to ask
Reply 15
Yeah definitely understand how you feel. Tbh most dental schools don't really care about the EPQ (which was one of the reasons I dropped it) so making your A Levels your priority is definitely a good idea, but also don't neglect the EPQ as having a bad grade may not look good - these days the admissions will use any excuse to reject you (trust me I know!).

exactly, the skills you learn from doing an EPQ mostly involve independent learning and the ability to do research on your own (google makes life a lot easier) looooool so it's not too specific to dentistry but just uni life in general... ahhhhh the admissions stuff scares meeeeee

Is there no way you could talk to your tutor or someone at school to explain to them that since the EPQ isn't really needed for dentistry and since it is a very competitive course that maybe you could drop it (and promise then you'll work hard for those top grades in return)?

i'll give it a try but i have a feeling they won't change their minds tbh... i suppose i'm going to have to work my socks off either way even if i don't get an A* in it an A is good enough
Reply 16
Original post by bruh2132
tbh, if you finish you epq in year 12/L6 you should be fine and it shouldn't hurt your A levels results at all, you just have to make sure you're consistent, for EPQ there's a lot of chunks of a lot of work you should prepare for and keep on top of I did an EPQ in year 12 so if you have any questions feel free to ask

hmmmm yes that's true i suppose...but then we've also got mocks which are extremely important :frown: i mean i will try to get it done and dusted as soon as possible

also thank you!
Reply 17
hmmmm yes that's true i suppose...but then we've also got mocks which are extremely important :frown: i mean i will try to get it done and dusted as soon as possible

also thank you!

No problem, yeah mocks can be pretty annoying but most of the people handed theirs in at the end of the second term/ start of the summer time so it left enough time for mocks,
Good luck anyway!
Reply 18
Original post by bruh2132
No problem, yeah mocks can be pretty annoying but most of the people handed theirs in at the end of the second term/ start of the summer time so it left enough time for mocks,
Good luck anyway!

that seems pretty reasonable tbh, mostly it involved setting deadlines for yourself and sticking to them (which i errmm, let's say, TRY to do... lol)

thank you, and you too!!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest