The Student Room Group

Math question help

Hi guys, so I get i) and also for ii) I get up to M=(x+a)^3(p+B) and then the expansion bit is just weird - I don't really get it.
BTW I have attached the question and the mark scheme.
Can someone please help?
15.PNG
Attachment not found
Original post by sienna2266
Hi guys, so I get i) and also for ii) I get up to M=(x+a)^3(p+B) and then the expansion bit is just weird - I don't really get it.
BTW I have attached the question and the mark scheme.
Can someone please help?

Not sure what's so confusing

We have (x+α)3=x3+3αx2+3α2x+α3(1)\displaystyle (x+\alpha)^3 = x^3+3 \alpha x^2 + \underbrace{3 \alpha^2 x + \alpha^3}_{(1)} and we ignore (1) because that's what the question tells us to do, "ignoring any terms which involve powers or products of the error terms α\alpha and β\beta"

Then we just expand (x3+3αx2)(ρ+β)=ρx3+3αρx2+βx3+αβx2(x^3+3 \alpha x^2)(\rho +\beta) = \rho x^3 + 3 \alpha \rho x^2 + \beta x^3 + \alpha \beta x^2 and we just ignore the last term because that's a product of two error terms.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames

We have (x+α)3=x3+3αx2+3α2x+α3(1)\displaystyle (x+\alpha)^3 = x^3+3 \alpha x^2 + \underbrace{3 \alpha^2 x + \alpha^3}_{(1)} and we ignore (1) because that's what the question tells us to do, "ignoring any terms which involve powers or products of the error terms α\alpha and β\beta"

Then we just expand (x3+3αx2)(ρ+β)=ρx3+3αρx2+βx3+αβx2(x^3+3 \alpha x^2)(\rho +\beta) = \rho x^3 + 3 \alpha \rho x^2 + \beta x^3 + \alpha \beta x^2 and we just ignore the last term because that's a product of two error terms.

Thanks so so much - this makes a lot of sense. I guess it was just the way the mark scheme worded it which put me off getting it right the first time round. :smile:
Reply 3

Hi, just had a question about part (iii) below: (both mark scheme & question attached)
17.PNG
Attachment not found

I get everything from this question apart from the (You could check your answer by direct calculation) and the mark scheme answer “Check: new mass=(3.01)^3(10.02)..” bit

What do they mean by direct calculation? Sorry for my ignorance :frown:

Why have they used M =(x+a)^3(p+B) here to get the new mass 273.254? Part ii) says to “ignore any terms which involve powers or products of the error terms a and B” so why use M=(x+a)^3(p+B) which has error terms when fully expanded out?

Also, what is the point in getting the new mass? Surely the question is asking for the extra mass.. and then supposedly “checking” you have got the correct extra mass which I don’t know how you do.

So for the “You could check your answer by direct calculation”, I was just assuming..

(1) Mass of cube if process is working properly: M=x^3p àM=(3)^3 x 10 àM=270

(2) Mass of cube if process is not working properly: M = px^3 +Bx^3 + 3apx^2 Or M = px^3 +Bx^3 + 3apx^2 +3aBx^2 Or M=(x+a)^3(p+B) ?? I don’t know/understand which of these 3 equations to use?

And then sub in the x,a,p,B values into one of these 3 equations in (2)....

And then find the difference between (2) and (1) to get the extra mass

Could you please help me here? Massively appreciate your help so far with other questions
Original post by sienna2266

I get everything from this question apart from the (You could check your answer by direct calculation) and the mark scheme answer “Check: new mass=(3.01)^3(10.02)..” bit

What do they mean by direct calculation? Sorry for my ignorance :frown:

Directly calculate the new mass rather than approximate it, so use (x+α)3(ρ+β)(x+\alpha)^3(\rho + \beta) with your calc and get the value.

Why have they used M =(x+a)^3(p+B) here to get the new mass 273.254? Part ii) says to “ignore any terms which involve powers or products of the error terms a and B” so why use M=(x+a)^3(p+B) which has error terms when fully expanded out?

Because that gives you the exact mass, and you want to compare it with ρx3\rho x^3 to see that indeed you have an extra 3.24\approx 3.24 units.

Also, what is the point in getting the new mass? Surely the question is asking for the extra mass.. and then supposedly “checking” you have got the correct extra mass which I don’t know how you do.

So for the “You could check your answer by direct calculation”, I was just assuming..

(1) Mass of cube if process is working properly: M=x^3p àM=(3)^3 x 10 àM=270

(2) Mass of cube if process is not working properly: M = px^3 +Bx^3 + 3apx^2 Or M = px^3 +Bx^3 + 3apx^2 +3aBx^2 Or M=(x+a)^3(p+B) ?? I don’t know/understand which of these 3 equations to use?

And then sub in the x,a,p,B values into one of these 3 equations in (2)....

And then find the difference between (2) and (1) to get the extra mass

Could you please help me here? Massively appreciate your help so far with other questions

Here just note that (x+α)3(ρ+β)exact incl. errorρx3exact, no error+βx3+3αρx2\underbrace{(x+\alpha)^3(\rho + \beta)}_{\text{exact incl. error}} \approx \underbrace{\rho x^3}_{\text{exact, no error}} + \beta x^3 + 3\alpha \rho x^2

Then subtracting the (exact, no error) from (exact incl. error) gives you the extra mass, which is specifically (x+α)3(ρ+β)ρx3βx3+3αρx2(x+\alpha)^3(\rho + \beta) - \rho x^3 \approx \beta x^3 + 3\alpha \rho x^2
Reply 5
Directly calculate the new mass rather than approximate it, so use (x+α)3(ρ+β)(x+\alpha)^3(\rho + \beta) with your calc and get the value.

Because that gives you the exact mass, and you want to compare it with ρx3\rho x^3 to see that indeed you have an extra 3.24\approx 3.24 units.

Here just note that (x+α)3(ρ+β)exact incl. errorρx3exact, no error+βx3+3αρx2\underbrace{(x+\alpha)^3(\rho + \beta)}_{\text{exact incl. error}} \approx \underbrace{\rho x^3}_{\text{exact, no error}} + \beta x^3 + 3\alpha \rho x^2

Then subtracting the (exact, no error) from (exact incl. error) gives you the extra mass, which is specifically (x+α)3(ρ+β)ρx3βx3+3αρx2(x+\alpha)^3(\rho + \beta) - \rho x^3 \approx \beta x^3 + 3\alpha \rho x^2

Thank you so much!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest