The Student Room Group

English timed essay on gothic conventions in the Bloody Chamber

I have a timed essay coming up for English Lit this tues on the gothic conventions of Tiger’s Bride, The courtship of Mr Lyon, The werewolf and The bloody chamber and I have no clue how to prep. I feel so overwhelmed by all of the stuff I have to remember because any motif could come up and I don’t know how to prepare all of the critical analysis or anything.
My school is following the OCR spec by the way so if anyone could help me out, please do, I’m on the verge of tears.
I do the OCR spec for A level too, dw im finding it quite hard as well. I wrote up some of the notes I have for the stories below. What I would do is learn quotes that match the gothic conventions in the story and I added a few quotes I know from memory below (wording might be a tad off because idk where my book is haha) (: For the real exam btw I would definitely take a look at lady of the house of love and the other two wolf stories as well because they're super gothic-y.
For critical analysis in the exam I would analyse the quote and say how it's gothic, which I assume is what your teacher will be looking for. Also link to context. If you're doing A Level then context is 50% of the real exam, but if you're doing AS then focus on AO2 analysis, so analyse single words and their affects.

Tiger’s Bride;
- helpless female/damsel in distress = "my father lost me to the beast at cards" "my father abandoned me to the wild beasts"
- isolated building, gothic setting = "the beast bought solitude.... with his money"
- the monstrous = "he wears a mask with a man's face painted most beautifully upon it"

The courtship of Mr Lyon;
- inferior female again = "his beauty, his girl-child, his pet"
- monstrous = "head of a lion, mane and mighty paws of a lion"
- isolation = "there was no evidence of another human presence"

The Werewolf
- macabre language = "the devil holds picnics in the graveyard"
- supernatural = "witch's mark"
- violence/death = "stone her to death" "beating her old carcass"
- monstrous = the wolf
- fear = "red eyes, running grizzled chops" "he went for her throat as most wolves do"
- isolation = "five mile trudge through the forest"
- contrasting to gothic; active female "take your father's hunting knife you know how to use it" and "the wolf let out a gulp, almost a sob, wolves are less brave than they seem."

The bloody chamber:
- death/macabre/language designed to scare readers = "bloody bandage of rubies" "choker... like an extraordinarily slit throat" "the worst thing was the dead lips smiled" "fated sisterhood of his wives" "mark of cain" "he twined his finger in my hair until I winced"
- passive female = "bare as a lamb chop" "I was 17 and knew nothing of the world" "baby"
- gothic setting (masculine setting) = "spiked gates" "his castle" Marquis has as many keys as a "prison warder"
- isolation = "faery solitude of the place" "cut off by the tide from land for half a day"
- villain = Marquis like a "lily" that "will stain you", "silver streaks in his dark mane" is a predator

These are just a few that I remember but there are loads more, I have a list of gothic conventions and I can type that up if you need just let me know? Also, don't forget to reference the original fairy tales the stories were based upon e.g. first two are beauty and the beast, Werewolf is Perrault's Little Red Riding Hood/Grimm's Little Red Cap and Bloody Chamber is Perrault's Bluebeard and Marquis is based on Marquis de Sade. I hope this helped!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by laureliza
I do the OCR spec for A level too, dw im finding it quite hard as well. I wrote up some of the notes I have for the stories below. What I would do is learn quotes that match the gothic conventions in the story and I added a few quotes I know from memory below (wording might be a tad off because idk where my book is haha) (: For the real exam btw I would definitely take a look at lady of the house of love and the other two wolf stories as well because they're super gothic-y.
For critical analysis in the exam I would analyse the quote and say how it's gothic, which I assume is what your teacher will be looking for. Also link to context. If you're doing A Level then context is 50% of the real exam, but if you're doing AS then focus on AO2 analysis, so analyse single words and their affects.

Tiger’s Bride;
- helpless female/damsel in distress = "my father lost me to the beast at cards" "my father abandoned me to the wild beasts"
- isolated building, gothic setting = "the beast bought solitude.... with his money"
- the monstrous = "he wears a mask with a man's face painted most beautifully upon it"

The Werewolf
- supernatural = "witch's mask"
- monstrous = the wolf
- fear = "red eyes, running grizzled chops" "he went for her throat as most wolves do"
- contrasting to gothic; active female "take your father's hunting knife you know how to use it" and "the wolf let out a gulp, almost a sob, wolves are less brave than they seem."

The bloody chamber:
- death/macabre/language designed to scare readers = "bloody bandage of rubies" "choker... like an extraordinarily slit throat" "the worst thing was the dead lips smiled" "fated sisterhood of his wives" "mark of cain" "he twined his finger in my hair until I winced"
- passive female = "bare as a lamb chop" "I was 17 and knew nothing of the world" "baby"
- gothic setting (masculine setting) = "spiked gates" "his castle" Marquis has as many keys as a "prison warder"
- isolation = "faery solitude of the place" "cut off by the tide from land for half a day"
- villain = Marquis like a "lily" that "will stain you", "silver streaks in his dark mane" is a predator

These are just a few that I remember but there are loads more, I have a list of gothic conventions and I can type that up if you need just let me know? I hope this helped!

This is extremely helpful I can’t thank you enough! Also yes!!!!! I would appreciate it also if you could tell me more
Glad I could help and goodluck! Here's the complete list of gothic features I have;
SETTING:
- gothic landscapes: become a reflection of an internal state of mind
- gothic architecture: tall grand design, gargoyles, tall ceilings, decorative/ornate style, pointed arch, flying buttress, light airy interior.
- a castle (ruined/haunted)
- dungeons, underground passages OR in modern texts: basements, attics
- dark corridors, winding stairs
- shadows/beam of moonlight in darkness
- flickering candle or failing light source
- extreme landscapes: forests, mountains
- extreme weather
- sublime
- uncanny
PLOT:
- omens and ancestral curses
- magic
- the supernatural
- death, decay, darkness, madness
- gloom, mystery, suspense, sensational, dramatic
- macabre
- horrifying events or evil deeds
CHARACTERS:
- the monstrous/abhuman/dopplegangers
- a passion driven wilful hero/villain
- gothic hero: has burning desires, readers sympathise with them, intelligent, struggles between good and evil, tormented by actions
- heroine with a tenancy to faint and need to be rescued. Critic Punter says gothic motif is "damsel in distress"
Hi, doing The Bloody Chamber and Dracula, could you send me revision notes or anything you’ve done on either books please. Thanks
Original post by laureliza

Tiger’s Bride;

The Werewolf
- supernatural = "witch's mark"
- monstrous = the wolf

The bloody chamber:

These are just a few that I remember but there are loads more, I have a list of gothic conventions and I can type that up if you need just let me know? Also, don't forget to reference the original fairy tales the stories were based upon e.g. first two are beauty and the beast, Werewolf is Perrault's Little Red Riding Hood/Grimm's Little Red Cap and Bloody Chamber is Perrault's Bluebeard and Marquis is based on Marquis de Sade. I hope this helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending