The Student Room Group

move AWAY from London for jobs

Hi all,

So here is the deal! I'll be almost 27 by the time I graduate. I didn't want to go to uni, so spent my time from 18-22 working casual jobs (hospitality etc) then went travelling for 2 years, and finally at 24 decided maybe I should do the whole degree thing after all.

The thing is once I'm done, I really don't want to live in London. I grew up in Surrey and as much as I like visiting London for a day, I really don't think I'd enjoy working there. I know the commute would stress me tf out, the size of the place, and in all honesty I've never quite "clicked" with the people. I just don't feel comfortable in London generally and obviously the insane rent prices don't help.

I am really considering moving to Manchester as I hear the grad schemes are really good up there and people often overlook it assuming London is the only place to go. I've visited a few times and love the general vibe of the city. My only concern is, I hear once you buy a property up north there's no way you're ever making your way back down south. As I say I have no interest in living in London but I really like a lot of the surrounding counties- Oxfordshire, Kent etc. So once I have a more established career I'd potentially want to move south again.

What's everyone's general opinions? Anyone have experience of grad schemes in Manchester? Anyone moved up North from the south and found they haven't wanted to move back down? I'm just so torn about whether to just rent which seems a bit like money down the drain, take the plunge and buy.

I should add (I know it's personal but I feel I'll get the best advice this way) I'll have around £25-30k to my name once I have graduated saved up so that's what I'm looking at working with in terms of a deposit if I did go ahead and buy.
Reply 1
I’m quite a bit younger than you but I’ll tell you what I think. I don’t see why you won’t be able to move back down to London if you want to since you’ll have saved a lot of money by not renting there and being in Manchester instead (unless they don’t let you buy a house since you have been up north which I’m pretty sure is illegal). I don’t have experience with the graduate schemes in Manchester but if you have heard they’re good then they probable are! Good luck! 👍🏾😀
thanks :smile: Although money will of course be going on mortgage repayments etc so I'm not sure I'd be able to save all that much!

Quick Reply

Latest