The Student Room Group

Got offered a job I am underqualifed for

Hi so let me explain. I'm 26, I graduated in 2012 with a History degree but didnt know what to do, after some time I found myself working for Royal Mail on the night shift. I have been there ever since and although I havent hated it I have felt like I was stagnating and wasting my potential.

Last year a family friend said that I could come into his office and help his team with their work which was Communications for the NHS as I had an interest in that field and enjoy writing.

I have been doing this in my spare time for a few months and my manager has said that I am capable of the work. He saw an opportunity with another company recently and said that I should go for it for interview experience.

Anyway I got an interview, explained my situation whilst there, had a second meeting with them and yesterday they called me back and offered me the job. As it is a small charity organisation the Communications department is only me and one manager so more responsibilty.

Initially I was very pleased but now I am panicking that I wont be able to do it. I have very little experience in the field of Communications and this job also involves some Marketing work.

Do I give up my steady, but unfulfilling work at Royal Mail to pursue this, what if I get there and dont have a clue what I am doing? They have said that I will be on a six month probation because of my inexperience and seem very friendly but what if I dont pass that, I will be unemployed again.
You'll learn what you need to learn whilst there; in addition to this, you will have a manager that you will be able to refer to. This sounds like a great opportunity to start a much more fulfilling career and I would say go for it if you aren't finding your job with the royal mail very rewarding.
(edited 6 years ago)
Night shifts are all right by after 10 - 20 years it will have an effect, I would definitely go for the charity one especially if you enjoy writing, understand 6 months period but then I think to get sacked you'll need to be a right ********, they'll teach you everything else and they obviously want you, worse comes to the worse you just go back to royal mail, I'm sure you have friends there to keep you in contact with jobs going
Difference is beautiful. Charity jobs feels your soul marvelous. You should accept this job i think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending