The Student Room Group

GCSE options

Hello All, I am currently in the process of choosing my GCSE options. I myself am inclined to take 3 humanities. History, Geography and RE. I am also intending to take Spanish with that. My question is, do you think it is wise to take 3 humanities? I appreciate that universities are looking for a wider range of subjects but I enjoy humanities and am bad at languages so I don't want to take two. Would it be smarter to drop RE and take a creative? Not personally great at creatives but willing to give it a go if i have too. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Do whatever you want, universities don’t care about GCSE subjects
I would recommend to take RE as it is a very easy subject, and is easy to get your head around, can get you an easy 9. I would advice you to not take both history and geography because of them two require alot of memory, especially history (when remembering dates + peoples names). I would chose either history and geography.
Reply 3
Original post by Sam.T.

Thanks a lot, my friends think i'm nuts but i'd much rather do 3 Humanities(think i'm the only one in my year).
Original post by Sam.T.

They actually do care now, about your gcse. They take ur gcse in considerastionas seriously as they take your A-levels in consideration.
Reply 5
Original post by itz_.vik
They actually do care now, about your gcse. They take ur gcse in considerastionas seriously as they take your A-levels in consideration.

Thanks again but would it actually hold me back much if i don't take a creative?
Reply 6
Original post by savvyspark
Thanks a lot, my friends think i'm nuts but i'd much rather do 3 Humanities(think i'm the only one in my year).

I also take 3 humanities (History,Geography & RE) so you’re not the only one
It depends on what you want to do really, but unis only care about the grades at GCSE. So just do what you enjoy. It's the A-Levels that matter :P
Reply 8

Universities obviously want Maths & English and X amount of GCSE’s, but they don’t care what subjects you take at GCSE, only A-Level

They don't. They look at the grades but the subjects which you choose really don't matter.
Not really, its your choice, whichever you find easiest and whichever you think you will get highest grade. Bare in mind, you will only continue 3 or 4 of them subjects for A-level. I didn't do history, because there is a lot of essays and you basically have to remember so many names and dates and facts for the exam. I would highly recommend to do RE because it is so easy.
Hi! I currently take RS (mandatory for religious schools like mine), history and geog for GCSE.
RS is super easy you’ll be fine with it. Theres bits of philosophy and ethics which causes interesting debates as well as the religion stuff.
In regards to history and geog, stay on top of them, make revision notes whenever you have an assessment (you’ll thank yourself in y11) and you’ll be able to manage. They’re hard as a combination, but if you put in the work you’ll get good grades. Just be prepared for a bigger workload than some of your friends might have !!

Unis look at the subjects you’ve taken, but ultimately theyll care more about the grades you get in them. Sure it looks good that you have a wide range of subjects, but it isn’t worth it if you won’t do well in a creative subject. No point taking drama if you’ll get a 4 but could’ve gotten a 7 in a more academic subject. Play to your strengths x

(And for love of god pls don’t take 2 languages, that’s 100x harder than 3 humanities - dont put yourself through the stress !!)
Hello All, I am currently in the process of choosing my GCSE options. I myself am inclined to take 3 humanities. History, Geography and RE. I am also intending to take Spanish with that. My question is, do you think it is wise to take 3 humanities? I appreciate that universities are looking for a wider range of subjects but I enjoy humanities and am bad at languages so I don't want to take two. Would it be smarter to drop RE and take a creative? Not personally great at creatives but willing to give it a go if i have too. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

I took RE and History and loved them! If you enjoy the subjects and work hard then you will do well in them. To be honest some of the "easier" subjects have easier rates of C/B (do not know the new system) but harder rates of A*'s. For example in our year (35 people) only 2 people got an A* in Food Technology.
Reply 13
Original post by milliewastestime
Hi! I currently take RS (mandatory for religious schools like mine), history and geog for GCSE.
RS is super easy you’ll be fine with it. Theres bits of philosophy and ethics which causes interesting debates as well as the religion stuff.
In regards to history and geog, stay on top of them, make revision notes whenever you have an assessment (you’ll thank yourself in y11) and you’ll be able to manage. They’re hard as a combination, but if you put in the work you’ll get good grades. Just be prepared for a bigger workload than some of your friends might have !!

Unis look at the subjects you’ve taken, but ultimately theyll care more about the grades you get in them. Sure it looks good that you have a wide range of subjects, but it isn’t worth it if you won’t do well in a creative subject. No point taking drama if you’ll get a 4 but could’ve gotten a 7 in a more academic subject. Play to your strengths x

(And for love of god pls don’t take 2 languages, that’s 100x harder than 3 humanities - dont put yourself through the stress !!)

Thanks a lot this was really helpful!
Thanks a lot this was really helpful!

You’re welcome !
I took history and geography together which is fairly interesting and useful but it is very hard work to remember all the facts for history alongside all the facts of the case studies for geography. I wouldn’t recommend taking both really but if you enjoy both subjects and are willing to work hard then go for it!
pick maths
They are perfect!! As long as you enjoy them and can do well in them then they will get you wherever you want to go:smile:
I am currently in year 10 doing english lit&lang, maths+further maths, spanish, triple science, re, geography, history and latin and polish as an extra. So i know what pressure is haha.
RE isn’t as easy as people say it is! Depends on what your school chooses as the syllabus ethics or marks gospel islam or judaism, catholic christianity. It is a lot to fit in.
As for geography that’s a great choice, it is A LOT of work though but once you learn the way to answer the different questions and learn the key vocab you’ll be fine. You learn about both the physical and human environment.
As for history i never liked it, i was forced to take it and it’s not too good. Maybe it’s just my judgement speaking but there’s too much to learn and because of such a big syllabus we have to get through it really quickly. Weimar Germany, Cold war, reign of queen elizabeth and crime and punishment through time are the topics. I’ve only done weimar germany and it didn’t start of too hard but it got terrible towards the end haha.
Spanish is a good choice, lots of work to learn a language in two years but it’s worth it.

What I’m saying is, take the three humanities it’s possible and it’s not too much stress especially if you enjoy them. But if you were to drop one for another subject i would say drop history.

Hope i helped a bit.
if you’re still stuck, you can check out my gcse options thread - it might help you out! :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5181182

Quick Reply

Latest