The Student Room Group

Engineering and Maths

I’m quite bad at maths for my year (am at a grammar school) and i’ve always liked the idea of engineering. However, it’s very maths based, and as I say, i’m not that great at it. If i’m not good at maths, should I just think of something else to do?
Well I know you've heard this a million times before but practice makes perfect. Don't give up on something that you're into, instead show your commitment by revising, going over your notes, taking in all the lessons step by step and slowly, and one of the best ways to get better at Maths is take pass papers.
Original post by linedpaper
I’m quite bad at maths for my year (am at a grammar school) and i’ve always liked the idea of engineering. However, it’s very maths based, and as I say, i’m not that great at it. If i’m not good at maths, should I just think of something else to do?

What do you mean by bad at maths?

Some people take longer to learn maths. If you are not able to do A-level maths because your GCSE grade excludes you, but are still keen on an engineering career, seriously consider the HNC/HND engineering apprentice route. Without a good A-level maths, you will not get onto a university engineering degree unfortunately.

With the vocational type courses, BTEC etc., the maths is taught much like at school, but at a slower pace, giving time for the concepts to sink in.

I know of at least two people who hated maths at school and went up that route. Eventually gaining a 1st in engineering. It's perfectly possible, you just need to persevere.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
What do you mean by bad at maths?

Some people take longer to learn maths. If you are not able to do A-level maths because your GCSE grade excludes you, but are still keen on an engineering career, seriously consider the HNC/HND engineering apprentice route. Without a good A-level maths, you will not get onto a university engineering degree unfortunately.

With the vocational type courses, BTEC etc., the maths is taught much like at school, but at a slower pace, giving time for the concepts to sink in.

I know of at least two people who hated maths at school and went up that route. Eventually gaining a 1st in engineering. It's perfectly possible, you just need to persevere.

I would object and say that it is possible to get onto an engineering degree through a vocational route.
And yes as everyone has said there is the vocational route available for you as well.
Original post by deltagolf
I would object and say that it is possible to get onto an engineering degree through a vocational route.
And yes as everyone has said there is the vocational route available for you as well.
What did I say that contradicted your statement?

I said "With the vocational type courses, BTEC etc., the maths is taught much like at school, but at a slower pace, giving time for the concepts to sink in. I know of at least two people who hated maths at school and went up that route. Eventually gaining a 1st in engineering. It's perfectly possible, you just need to persevere."
Original post by uberteknik
What did I say that contradicted your statement?

I said "With the vocational type courses, BTEC etc., the maths is taught much like at school, but at a slower pace, giving time for the concepts to sink in. I know of at least two people who hated maths at school and went up that route. Eventually gaining a 1st in engineering. It's perfectly possible, you just need to persevere."

You are correct, I am sorry. Does it take longer to reach a degree through a vocational route than an academic route?
For a subject like maths it is all about practice .If you practice more papers ,perhaps watch some maths YouTube videos your knowledge will progress in some sort of way. Put all your commitment into it and at the end you will be comfortable and you wouldn't say you are 'bad' at any thing.

If you want any support just drop me a pm:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by donut_mckenzie28
For a subject like maths it is all about practice

I don't agree. Practice is very important for avoiding silly mistakes, but it's understanding that is key IMO. It needs to make sense to you, which requires wrestling with the concepts yourself, rather than being told how to solve it (too soon).
Original post by linedpaper

Yes, Engineering is very maths intensive. I don't know what year you're in, but I wouldn't bee too concerned unless you're already doing 'A' levels. 'A' level study is quite different from GCSEs, as you focus on fewer subjects - it's not uncommon for people to really take-off academically at 'A' level.
Original post by RogerOxon
I don't agree. Practice is very important for avoiding silly mistakes, but it's understanding that is key IMO. It needs to make sense to you, which requires wrestling with the concepts yourself, rather than being told how to solve it (too soon).

Yes I agree. If you don't understand a concept or how to solve something I would suggest to go through it step by step.
Hi OP,

I was just like you once, I was terrible (like really bad) at maths. In secondary school I was in set 5 for maths. I felt really bad because all of my friends were in higher sets which made me feel bad. There was also stigma in my year for being in that set. I started finding out about engineering in secondary school and I knew that was what I wanted to pursue. I was good in English and Science but not Maths and that was going to be a problem because A level maths is a must.

Once I stopped hating maths and working hard/ practising all the time, I found to love maths as I started to understand it and get it better. I jumped from a set 5 to 4, 3, 2 to set 1 by year 11. I was so happy and the hardwork paid off. Even though I was in set 1, I had some confidence issues because most of the people there, were there from yr7 or only moved up from set 2 or had tutoring ( my family couldn't afford tutoring for me). So I always doubted my abilities till one day I was talking to one of my maths teachers and she told me I was A grade material because I was in set 1. I know this might sound silly to some but she boosted my confidence ( sometimes you need to hear someone tell you, you can do it) and made me realise I could get an A.

Fast forward I ended getting a A in GCSE Maths and I was so proud of myself. Some people I thought were smarter than me got a B I was in shock but so proud of myself. Because of this A I was able to do Physics and Maths a level which I needed for uni.

Now I'm in university doing Mechanical engineering I've achieved a 2.1 in a russell group university and am on track graduating with 2.1. I am not gonna lie the course is obviously very maths based so you'll need to be good at it. However, hardwork and determination will get you anywhere you wanna go in life.

Lastly, if like me your heart is set on engineering work hard and I cannot stress enough just like the others said keep practising. If you get some things wrong don't get disheartened it just means you have to work harder. You'll never learn if you dont make mistakes so dont be afraid to make them! I used to beat myself up about it because I had a terrible mentality from secondary school.

Now I don' t mind making mistake because I know it'll make me better. You can ask me any questions if you need advice. =)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest